"General Motors designer Harley Earl loved sports cars and was influenced by the GI’s bringing home MGs, Jaguars, Alfa Romeo’s and the like after hostilities ceased in Europe in 1945. Even the small independent carmaker, Nash Motors, began selling a two-seater sports car in 1951. Earl convinced GM that they also needed to build a two-seat sports car. Earl and his 'special projects' crew began working on the new car later that year which was code named 'Opel'. The result was the 1953 Corvette, which took its name from a small, manoeuvrable fighting frigate and was unveiled to the public at that year's Motorama Car Show.
This superb left hand drive, manual gearbox example is presented in Polo White with silver panels and Sportsman Red interior with chrome five blade wheels and all appear to have been well restored. Upon import, the car was further improved, it was fully resprayed by a company experienced working with fibreglass and at the same time the suspension was updated, it is now fitted with a front suspension clip utilising later Corvette C5 components; this results in a far more modern and enjoyable driving dynamics, however, in the interest of originality the removed suspension set up and wheels are included in the sale. The original dynamo has been fully rewound and reconditioned and the points replaced with a Crane Carns ‘pointless’ system making for easier starting. By 1961, the C1 was at the end of almost 10 years of development and these very late, pre-Stingray, cars are probably the most desirable. It is supplied with a UK V5 registration document and several invoices."