1921 Calcott 11.9 HP

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1921
  • Chassis number 
    2116
  • Lot number 
    716
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

From a deceased's estate
1921 Calcott 11.9hp Two seater plus Dickey project.
Registration no. T 8016
Chassis no. 2116

Originally founded in 1886 as Calcott Bros & West, Calcott started out making bicycles and related components in the city of Coventry and by 1905 had begun experimenting with motorcycles. By 1912 Calcott had begun making motor cars and within two years motorcycle production had ceased. Introduced for 1913, Calcott's first four-wheeler was a 10½hp (1½-litre) four-cylinder light car designed by Arthur Alderson, formerly with Singer. It was made up to 1917 and revived after the war's end as the 11.9hp, re-emerging in its original 10½hp form in 1922. Bodies were supplied by various independent coachbuilders, Calcott lacking body-making facilities of its own. Although the company existed only briefly and is long gone, Calcott's imposing works still stands in Coventry and is now a listed building. It is believed that only three or four Calcott motorcycles still exist together with around 20 cars. First registered in 1921 but possibly of earlier date, this rare survivor was purchased in 1964 by the lady vendor's late husband, a died-in-the-wool Calcott enthusiast. 'T 8016' was purchased as a project for restoration, which was commenced in the late 1960s and had not been completed when the owner died in 2015. Offered for completion, the car comes with a substantial history file containing correspondence, bills, photographs, marque-related literature, an old-style continuation logbook (issued 1971) and an old-style V5.