1914 Cadillac Series 40 - 58

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1914
  • Chassis number 
    A4910
  • Lot number 
    653
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

1914 Cadillac 40/50HP Roadster
Registration no. not registered
Chassis no. A4910

Founded by Henry Leland and Robert Faulconer, the Cadillac Automobile Company, of Detroit completed its first car in October 1902 and the firm's superior manufacturing technology - precision gear cutting was Leland and Faulconer's first speciality - soon established it as the foremost builder of quality cars in the USA. Cadillac's first automobile was a simple runabout powered by single-cylinder engine - known as 'Little Hercules' - that was an exemplary performer by the standards of its day. From these humble beginnings Cadillac rapidly expanded its range, adding a large four-cylinder luxury car at the opposite end of the scale, yet within a few years was heading for bankruptcy. Faced with decreasing demand for both of its main products in the wake of a nationwide business slump, the company responded with a new medium-priced car - the Model 30 - which was introduced in December 1908.

Offering luxury and performance at a relatively modest price, the Model 30 was produced within budgetary constraints that were as exacting as the engineering tolerances set down by company head Henry Leland, the 'Master of Precision'. The profit margin had been set at just $25 per car and the company was rewarded by record sales in the new model's first year. By the time this example was built, the Model 30's four-cylinder engine had already undergone enlargement and for 1913 had been increased in size yet again, on this occasion to 5,996cc, while the major improvement for 1914 was the adoption of a Timken two-speed rear axle.

The Cadillac was bought from the USA requiring ground up restoration; a challenge undertaken as a retirement project by the vendor between 1990 and 2018. Described as excellent by the vendor, the car incorporates many different types of timber: seasoned ash (rear bodywork); hickory (wheels, very rare unpainted); mahogany (door cappings and bonnet rests); and walnut (steering wheel). Other noteworthy features include four spun-copper water jackets; brass carburettor outer jacket; brass edging to the running boards; mohair hood and hood bag; and a cam-driven compressor for tyre inflation. The latter is mounted in the engine compartment while the airline, which incorporates a pressure gauge, is stored in the boot. It is highly unusual to find this component present and in mint condition.

There is only one authentic tyre present and that is fitted to the spare wheel; the road wheels are currently fitted with modern Lester tyres of the same dimensions. We are advised that every component is in working order, and the car comes with sundry restoration invoices as well as a 'Final Schedule of 19 Tasks;' all duly undertaken with the restoration now 100% complete. Please be advised that 'A4910' has not been registered since its restoration.