Designed for high-speed motoring, this early S Series Bentley was among the fastest motor cars of its time with a top speed of 120 mph. A reduced front area lessened drag, and the lightweight construction of these aluminumbodied coachbuilt cars, coupled with a more powerful engine and taller gearing, resulted in a supremely powerful sports tourer.
One of only 69 examples of Park Ward’s exquisite Design 701, chassis BC8BG was delivered on July 31, 1956, to its first owner, D. Mackinnon Esq. of England, optioned with the desirable one-piece taillights, coupled with subtle fins atop the rear wings. The current owner, a Los Angeles resident, acquired this Bentley in 1985 from a San Francisco enthusiast. The sporting saloon has provided steadfast service on countless family occasions over the past 32 years, ferrying at least one of his newborn children home for the first time. A recent refinish included re-chroming of the brightwork, and the interior’s polished walnut veneer wood trim and inviting green Connolly leather enhance the saloon’s glimmering new Mason’s Black exterior finish. As supported by a considerable file of receipts dating to the 1970s, the saloon has been consistently maintained, both mechanically and cosmetically, and the results of these efforts are obvious.
Rare, beautifully appointed, and elegantly understated, this sporting Bentley is not only a joy to drive but is also certain to be a showstopper at most any gala event or concours d’elegance.