Announced in May 1946, the Bentley Mark VI featured a strong channel section chassis with independent wishbone/coil spring front suspension and a live, leaf-sprung rear axle. Drum brakes were fitted all-round, with Rolls-Royce's mechanical servo assistance, the front ones for the first time on a Bentley being operated hydraulically. Power was provided by the pre-war B60 4,257cc six cylinder engine - with overhead inlet/side exhaust valves and belt rather than gear-driven dynamo and water pump, both major changes from previous Rolls-Royce practice - sufficient to propel the Bentley, via twin SU carburettors, to 90mph. The only major mechanical change came in May 1951 when engine capacity was increased to 4,566cc together with a change from a by-pass oil filter system to one-using a full-flow layout.
To many connoisseurs the Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars of the Fifties and early S