1936 Bentley Derby

4.25 Litre

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1936
  • Car type 
    Convertible / Roadster
  • Chassis number 
    B123GP
  • Engine number 
    G8BF
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Interior colour 
    Black
  • Interior type 
    Leather
  • Number of doors 
    4
  • Number of seats 
    4
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Red
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

The Derby Bentley, starting in 1933 with the 3.5 Litre, followed in 1936 by the 4.25 Litre, and finishing in 1939 with the "overdrive" cars, is widely recognised as the best engineered British sportscar of the period.

Rolls Royce had purchased the assets and the name of the original Bentley Motors after the latter company went into receivership in 1931. Naturally Rolls Royce wanted to make full use of the Bentley name, which was one of the World's most illustrious marques. Bentley had been victorious in the 1920's at Le Mans and many other racing venues. A tuned twin carburettor version of the excellent Rolls Royce 20/25 engine was developed for use in the new model, and a new Bentley and indeed a new age in motoring began.

Other British marques, notably Lagonda and Alvis, offered sportscar performance and style, but they were not quite up to the Bentley in terms of refinement and engineering quality, only perhaps catching up in the late 1930's.

B123GP is a 1936 4.25 Litre. The car was built with and still carries outstandingly handsome "all-weather" coachwork by Vanden Plas. (Design No: 1349; Body No: 3475). Very few cars carried this wonderful 4 door touring design. It has a fully sealed hood that folds away neatly when stowed and with wind up windows, it provides comfortable long distance motoring in "all weathers".

There is a full history file that accompanies the car, recording all the owners and the record of the recent full restoration. Interestingly the history records an engine change carried out by the factory in 1937. The service record notes this later engine was supplied by the "experimental department" and the car is noticeably faster than other 4.25 Litre cars we have stocked.

The car was "Off Test" on 22nd June 1936, and was supplied via the London agents Jack Barclays to Gerald Palmer who was then the Chairman of Huntley and Palmers the biscuit manufacturers. He kept the car until 1954, part exchanging it for a Bentley MK VI. Since then it has had about five private owners at one time forming part of C. Fred Browns famous collection in the U.S.A.

It is an outstanding Derby Bentley in very fine order.