1929 Bentley 6 1/2 Litre

6 1/2 Litre Vanden Plas Style Open Tourer

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1929
  • Car type 
    Convertible / Roadster
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Interior colour 
    Red
  • Interior type 
    Leather
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Black
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

Chassis No FA2505 was completed in January of 1929, originally fitted with Weymann Saloon coachwork by Gurney Nutting. It was originally owned by C.A. Aldous until 1937 when it was sold and exported to South Africa. Whilst there, the chassis was modified from a twelve feet six inch wheelbase to one of eleven feet two inches and the coachwork was changed to a Vanden Plas style open tourer, the coachwork it still retains today. Following these changes the car was shipped to the USA where it remained until 1973. It was repatriated to the UK by Dr Paul Hummel and extensively used until 1979 when it was purchased by Stanley Mann. It was retained by Mr Mann for personal use for a short while and then sold to Mr L Davey who sent the car to W.O. Bentley specialists R.C.Moss who restored the car for the new owner between 1979 and 1981. The car was shown in 1981 at the BDC Concours at Kensington Gardens where it won best car in show. Mr Davey retained the car until 1996 when he sold it to Mr P Cautley who subsequently toured the car in Canada, the USA, Spain and Portugal following more restoration works by R.C.Moss between 1997 and 1999. It was acquired by the present owner in 2003. During the most recent ownership the engine was overhauled in 2005 and has since covered approximately 20,000 miles on trips all across Europe. Other works undertaken in recent years include the fitting of an overdrive and self-wrapping brakes, a new radiator, restored wheels, coachwork restoration, a new hood as well as annual maintenance to ensure correct performance and reliability. Chassis No FA2505 retains its original engine (FA2511) and original number plate (UL4049) and major mechanical components such as the axles and (C Type) gearbox. It is complete with FIVA identity card and extensive history dating back to the late 1970’s, covering all of the restoration works then and since. This matching numbers 6 ½ Litre is truly magnificent machine in every respect and should be seen in person and driven to be truly appreciated.