"This car can be viewed in person from 14th to 18th July 2020 at our the auction site, Windsorview Lakes, Datchet, SL3 9HY
Bedford was a subsidiary company of Vauxhall Motors which was the provider of commercial vehicles for the UK and export markets. The origins of Vauxhall Motors can be traced to 1857 when Alexander Wilson founded the Vauxhall Iron Works in Wandsworth Road, Vauxhall, London. Vauxhall Motors moved to Luton in 1905 and in November 1925 Vauxhall was acquired by General Motors. During World War II production of civilian vehicles was suspended, and Vauxhall was given the task of building the Churchill tanks. The Bedford TJ was first manufactured in 1958 and was an updated version of the TD range. The TJ was available in the United Kingdom up until 1975, after 1975 it was manufactured only for export.
This wonderful and nostalgic example was restored in 2017 and still retains its livery of London Brick Merchants from Neasden. It is powered by a 3.5 litre petrol engine, providing ample power for this classic truck. The ‘tipper’ has always been dry stored by the present owner, who bought it about ten years ago and has attended many rallies each year including the London to Brighton rally organised by the Historic Commercial Vehicle Society, where it was runner up in its Bedford Tipper class in 2018. This great piece of British commercial vehicle history has also attended the Lord Mayors Show on a couple of occasions recently. We are informed that the owner has renewed the tyres this year and its dark blue paintwork is still in very good condition.
The health and safety of both our customers and team remains the utmost priority, we are therefore operating to Government guidelines throughout viewing and auction day."