"Designed by Alec Issigonis in 1959, a new concept in car design was born. With a monocoque shell, transversely mounted engine and front wheel drive, the new 'Mini', as it was commonly known, soon became popular across a broad spectrum of the population. Introduced in February 1964, the 1275 Mini Cooper S, with its torquey engine, has long been seen as the ultimate 'S' and is currently still the most sought after version for most buyers and owners. Visually the same as the 1071cc 'S', the 1275cc was fitted with hydrolastic suspension along with the rest of the Mini range in late 1964. From early 1966, the extra fuel tank and oil cooler became standard items. The 1275cc 'S' then remained in production pretty much unchanged until September 1967 when the Mk. II version was launched.
This original UK supplied, righthand drive, Mini Cooper ‘S’ was first registered on 10th February 1966. Having been stored for many years, this Mini is in barn find condition and will require a total restoration. It appears the Recaro seats have been fitted from new and it certainly looks like everything is present and correct with the car although, rest assured, she needs a lot more than a T-Cut and polish! Supplied with an old style registration document denoting the registration number of 4859 DG which is believed to have been on the car from new. Austin Mini Cooper ’S’ prices have soared in recent years and this 1275cc example with twin fuel tanks is a great project.