1965 Aston Martin DB5
Year of manufacture1965
Number of seats2
1965 Aston Martin DB5 Sports Saloon
Registration no. DCO 2C
Chassis no. DB5/1772/R
Engine no. 400/1750
'Second to his house, a man's car is usually his most expensive single possession. But a house is static, and although a car like the DB5 costs as much as a comfortable dwelling, it is very dynamic and free to go anywhere. It is a car which cries out to be driven, to be driven well, and to be driven far.' - Autocar, 18th September 1964.
Aston Martin's post-war evolution took a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The engine was still an all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft, six but the old W O Bentley supervised 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. The new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm, and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit.
Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe, so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely strong platform type chassis. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod.
Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. The 3,995cc engine - first seen in the Lagonda Rapide - was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped gearbox; a proper ZF five-speed unit being an option at first and standardised later.
The DB5 was the first and remains the most famous of all the 'James Bond' Aston Martins, having appeared in no fewer than five movies of the series, beginning with Goldfinger in 1964. Equipped with rocket launchers and sundry other gadgets, 007's DB5 was finished in Silver Birch with red interior, in which specification it was later issued by Corgi Toys. In production for only two years, during which period 1,021 were manufactured, the DB5 is considered by some to be the nicest of the Marek six-cylinder cars, combining as is does the short wheelbase of the original DB4 with the 4.0-litre engine as found in the larger DB6.
Chassis number '1772/R' was first Registered on 15th April 1965 and first owned by one P J Conway. The copy guarantee form on file lists the original colour scheme as California Sage with black interior trim. Subsequently exported to the USA, the Aston was re-imported in 1988 by Marksdanes Classic Cars of Shepton Mallet, Somerset, by which time it had covered 85,629 miles. Marksdanes then sold the Aston to Mr Charles Henri Du Luart of London SW11, who commissioned Aston Engineering of Derby to carry out a complete 'last nut and bolt' restoration. Aston Engineering completed the rebuild in March 1991 (photographic record on file) at a cost well in excess of £40,000 and the car was then reunited with its original UK registration number, 'DCO 2C'.
Aston Engineering's invoice (on file) details the extensive works carried out, which included fitting a new crankshaft, a 9½" Borg & Beck clutch/flywheel assembly and a stainless steel exhaust system together with a full interior re-trim, body repairs and re-spray by Castle Ward Coachworks, etc.
On 28th March 1995 Mr Du Luart sold 'DCO 2C' to the current vendor, who since acquisition has kept the car in a heated and dehumidified garage, protected by a fitted cotton car cover (included in the sale). A qualified fighter-jet technician during his time serving in the RAF, the vendor has lovingly cared for the Aston, carrying out minor mechanical works and attending to annual servicing, oil and filter changes, etc himself. While in his care the car's brake and clutch hydraulic systems have been upgraded by Automec to use DoT 5 silicone fluid, the brake servos and the clutch and brake master and slave cylinders being renewed at the same time. The fuel supply has been upgraded to DB6 specification and the car has also been fitted with seat belts, a contemporary Motorola radio and a vehicle tracker system. Also included in the sale is an owner's handbook, a workshop manual, a waterproof fitted car cover and a correct tool roll (obtained from Aston Martin Lagonda).
Only the best marque specialists have been allowed to work on 'DCO 2C', the most recent being Aston Martin Lagonda at Newport Pagnell. In short: this exemplary DB5 has been maintained to the highest standards and kept in the best possible condition since its restoration, cherished and cared for by its owner who, reluctantly, is only selling the car for health reasons.
Finished in Pearl Black with red leather interior, this much-loved DB5 has covered only some 20,000 miles since restoration and is described as in generally very good/excellent condition. The car is offered with aforementioned restoration records, current road fund licence, MoT to November 2014 and V5C registration document.