1963 Aston Martin DB4 'Series V' Vantage Sports Saloon Registration no. 748 HYT Chassis no. DB4/1207/R Engine no. 370/1208/SS
'Performance, controllability and comfort have been combined in the Aston Martin DB4 to make it a highly desirable car: one in which long journeys can be completed very quickly indeed with the minimum of risk or discomfort and the maximum of pleasure.' - The Motor.
Manufactured between October 1958 and June 1963, Aston Martin's Touring-styled DB4 developed through no fewer than five series. However, it should be made clear that the cars were not thus designated by the factory, this nomenclature having been suggested subsequently by the Aston Martin Owners Club to aid identification as the model evolved. The first cars had already undergone a number of improvements, including the fitting of heavy-duty bumpers after the first 50 had been made, before the 2nd series arrived in January 1960. A front-hinged bonnet, bigger brake callipers and an enlarged sump were the major changes made on the Series II, while the 3rd series featured separate rear lights, two bonnet stays and a host of improvements to the interior fittings.
The 4th series was readily distinguishable by its new grille, with seven vertical bars, shallower bonnet intake and recessed rear lights, while the final (5th) series manufactured between September 1962 and June 1963 was built on a 3½" longer wheelbase (allowing for increased leg room and a larger boot) and gained 15" wheels, an electric radiator fan and the DB4GT-type instrument panel. As always, a 'Special Series' Vantage engine was available as an option; this unit, equipped with larger valves, raised compression ratio and triple SU carburettors, produced no less than 266bhp at 5,700rpm, an increase of 26bhp over standard. Almost all DB4 Vantages were built with the faired-in headlights of the DB4GT.
Chassis number '1207/R' was delivered via Brooklands Motors on 30th July 1963 and first owned by one E J Burrell of Chorleywood, Hertfordshire. The accompanying copy guarantee form records the original colour scheme as Caribbean Pearl with dark blue Connolly leather interior trim, while the only non-standard feature listed apart from the desirable Vantage engine is a Motorola radio.
The green logbook lists a further two registered keepers, Ms. Margherita Hurst of London E10 (1970) and Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd (1974). '748 HYT' was first acquired by its current owner in May 1976 and kept by him until September 2000 when it was sold to one David Dalrymple of Cambridge. The car was bought back from Mr Dalrymple in October 2009, such was the DB4's attraction.
There are bills on file issued by David Wall Vintage & Classic Cars of Wroxham, Norfolk detailing extensive refurbishment, mostly dating from the late 1980s plus some from 2009. One, dated September 1987, is for extensive body repairs and a repaint in Aston Martin Warwick Blue. The most recent bill, dated December 2009, is for a major service and five new tyres, but the car will have been back to David Wall immediately prior to sale for routine servicing and MoT test. Well stored in recent years in an impressive motor house alongside numerous other Astons and other quality British marques, '748 HYT' is described as in generally good running condition and offered with the aforementioned service records, logbook and guarantee form; a quantity of expired MoT certificates and old tax discs; current MoT/tax and V5 registration document.