• Year of manufacture 
    1961
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    170
  • Reference number 
    4WUnk9Mlr6ZSS6o3u2RPCp
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Location
    United States
  • Exterior colour 
    Other

Description

Making its debut at the 1958 Paris Motor Show, the DB4 was a masterpiece of modern engineering for the small but highly respected Newport Pagnell firm. With styling by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, the coachwork was constructed using their ingenious Superleggera (Super light) method of aluminum panels over a lightweight tubular framework. The Tadek Marek-designed 3.7-litre straight-six engine produced 240 hp and contributed to a favorable power-to-weight ratio enabling the DB4 to sprint to 60 mph in just nine seconds – and on to a 140 mph top speed. The DB4 is arguably the progenitor of the mystique that the marque still enjoys today. The DB4 Series II, such as the example offered here, arrived in January 1960 and is distinguished by its bumper over-riders, front-hinged bonnet, improved braking, and enlarged engine sump.

According to a copy of its build record on file, this DB4 Series II was first sold in March 1961 to the Grimmer Electrical Supplies Ltd. of East Ham, within greater London, presumably for use by one the company’s principals. In addition to confirming its matching-numbers engine, the build sheet notes that the Aston Martin was re-cellulosed within a few weeks of its sale date, likely as a condition of the sale, from Caribbean Pearl to the Goodwood Green that it still wears today. An accompanying identification tag issued by the Miami-based Shaw Brothers Shipping Company suggests the DB4 was imported to the US by Marathon, Florida-resident Walter B. Weidler, and fuel receipts bearing his name, found in the car, dated 1969, provide a rough time frame of his ownership.

The consignor has known this DB4 since his youth; his friend, Riehm Hankins, had purchased it from his longtime friend and racing compatriot, Mr. Weidler, in the early 1970s. At the time of the consignor’s purchase from the Hankins family in 2003, the car had already been stored for decades, and had some body repair work partially completed; however, as other projects and daily life took priority, the DB4 remained tucked away in the back of the consignor’s shop in storage for another 20 years. Though the engine has been run as recently as early 2024, the owner states that the car has not been driven since about 1970, which is supported by a 1969 Florida State inspection sticker remaining affixed to the windshield. The Aston Martin will require recommissioning prior to any road use.

The DB4 is accompanied by its jack, tool roll, spare wheel, period under-dash air-conditioning components, and various other spares. Showing just 39,308 miles, this long-prized Aston Martin will be passed to its next caretaker who will have the choice of returning it to the road as a highly intact, low-mileage garage find, or restoring it to its original sophisticated splendor. Either way, the Aston Martin community will be the better for this long-sequestered example rejoining the ranks.

*Please note that this vehicle has been in long-term static storage and may not be currently operational. It will require mechanical attention prior to road use.


Gooding & Company
1517 20th Street
Santa Monica  90404  California
United States
Contact Person Kontaktperson
First name 
Gooding & Company

Phone 
+1 (310) 899-1960