1961 Aston Martin DB4
Year of manufacture1961
Number of seats2
Property of a deceased's estate
1961 Aston Martin DB4 'Series III' Sports Saloon
Registration no. WVG 533
Chassis no. DB4/619/R
Classically proportioned and instantly recognisable from the moment of its introduction in 1958, the Touring-styled DB4 established a look that would survive, with only minor revisions, until 1970. A new design by Tadek Marek, the DB4's all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft six-cylinder engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm for a displacement of 3,670cc and developed its maximum output of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit.
An immensely strong platform-type chassis replaced the DB2/4's multi-tubular spaceframe, the latter being considered incompatible with Touring's Superleggera body construction which employed its own lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels. The DB2/4's trailing-link ifs gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a well-located live axle equipped with Watts linkage location instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod.
The DB4's peerless credentials as a Grand Routiérè were summed up thus by The Motor: 'Performance, controllability and comfort have been combined in the Aston Martin DB4 to make it a highly desirable car: one in which long journeys can be completed very quickly indeed with the minimum of risk or discomfort and the maximum of pleasure.'
Manufactured between October 1958 and June 1963, the DB4 developed through no fewer than five series. However, it should be made clear that the cars were not thus designated by the factory, this nomenclature having been suggested subsequently by the Aston Martin Owners Club to aid identification as the model evolved. The first series had already undergone a number of improvements, including the fitting of heavy-duty bumpers after the first 50 cars, before the second series arrived in January 1960. A front-hinged bonnet, bigger brake callipers and an enlarged sump were the major changes made on the Series II, while the third series featured separate rear lights, two bonnet stays, and a host of improvements to the interior fittings.
Its accompanying original RF.60 logbook shows that '619/R' was first registered (as 'EHS 66') to Messrs Sexton Son & Everard of Norwich on 1st May 1961. The second owner listed is Dawn Addams, believed to be the film and television actress of that name, who is perhaps best remembered for starring alongside Roger Moore in several episodes of the ITV series, 'The Saint', and appearing regularly in Thames Television's sitcom, 'Father, Dear Father'. Two further owners are listed, the last of whom, Michael Druce of Kintbury Garages Ltd, sold the Aston to its late owner in July 1969 (sales receipt on file). It should be noted that this logbook records a change of engine number from '673' to '637', though this may be merely the correction of a clerical error.
The history file also contains a quantity of expired tax discs and MoT certificates dating back some 17 years, showing the recorded mileage total rising from 98,237 in 2002 to 99,007 when the current certificate was issued in March 2019; the distance travelled (770 miles or around 43 miles annually) almost certainly representing the journey to the MoT station and back again. The car also comes with old/current V5/V5C documents, SORN paperwork, a quantity of photocopied literature, a workshop manual, and a parts book.