"Following the close of WWII, Aston Martin faced its third major financial crisis when a lack of capital prevented the development of new and necessary postwar models. A cryptic advertisement in The Times caught successful industrialist David Brown’s eye and by February 1947, a mere £20,500 was required for him to gain ownership of the firm. A few months later, another shrewd acquisition netted Brown to the Lagonda Company, which provided a modern 2,580 cc twin-overhead camshaft engine. In various forms, this basic engine design would continue through 1959, powering Aston Martin’s DB2, DB2/4, and DB Mk. III road cars, as well as the DB3 and DB3S sports racers.
While these developments satisfied Brown the businessman, the racer inside nurtured the dream of scoring outright victory at the ultimate endurance competition, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Under the leadership of legendary team manager John Wyer and newly-hired drivers, including Jack Fairman, George Abecassis, Lance Macklin and Reg Parnell, racing began in earnest with the prototype DB2 models of 1949. One of these, LML/49/3, earned a Le Mans class podium finish. This promising start was followed by a trio of DB2s, LML/50/7, 50/8, and 50/9, who were entered in 1950 and two earned class awards. These were followed by the introduction of the DB3 and 3S competition cars, which moved the needle forward from 1952 through 1956. David Brown’s racing aspirations and his Works team efforts culminated in 1959, when the DBR1, driven by Roy Salvadori and Carroll Shelby, won Le Mans outright. That same year, the World Sports Car Championship also fell to Aston Martin, with additional help from the likes of such legendary drivers as Stirling Moss, Jack Fairman, and Tony Brooks.
The hugely successful DB4, DB5, and DB6 Grand Tourers, powered by a new alloy twin-cam six, followed in the 1959 to 1969 period. A new V-8 engine debuted in 1969 as the DBS V-8, versions of this alloy masterpiece powering post-David Brown era Astons for a further two decades. Knighted in 1968, Sir David Brown’s 25-year stewardship produced, without a doubt, the most varied and universally revered range of Aston Martin motor cars. They all owe their very existence to the landmark DB2.
The Aston Martin DB2 – The Start of Great Things
This delightfully handsome Aston Martin DB 2/4 Mk. II has been owned by the vendor for the last 19 years. Throughout his stewardship, he has invested significant time and finances to improve the quality of the car resulting in this splendid example. In 2002 the car had a repaint and in 2008 the engine was rebuilt by marque specialist Davron in Salisbury. Additional work was carried out by XRN Ltd and the car was converted to run on unleaded fuel, the mileage at the time was 93,340. In 2009 five new wheels, tyres and tubes were purchased from MWS International, the same year also saw a replacement clutch fitted to the DB2. In 2012 the vendor had another clutch fitted by Davron, this was a lighter clutch and pressure plate from a DB5 thus resulting in a much lighter pedal action and making the car far more enjoyable to drive. The car also benefits from a stainless steel exhaust; the vendor has enjoyed a good relationship with Davron and they have carried out most of the servicing.
Finished in British Racing Green with tan leather interior, this is a splendid colour combination for a car of the period. Supplied with a V5C registration document and a significant history folder, this Aston Martin has been enjoyed immensely by the vendor for virtually two decades travelling to a number of events in the UK and in France, however he now feels it is time to let someone else enjoy UNF 444. This is an opportunity to purchase a much loved and perfectly useable DB 2/4 Mk. II at a very realistic estimate."