1926 Armstrong Siddeley 18 HP

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1926
  • Mileage 
    2 885 mi / 4 643 km
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Chassis number 
    40249
  • Engine number 
    19260
  • Lot number 
    5
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of doors 
    4
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

- Offered from the estate of the late Sir Colin Hope who was a former President of the SMMT (1991-93), Trustee of the National Motor Museum (1991-2002), and Patron of the Armstrong Siddeley Heritage Trust from 2011

Introduced in 1921, the Armstrong Siddeley 18hp was a derivative of the marque's first offering - the 30hp - which had debuted some two years earlier. Powered by a smaller 2318cc OHV six-cylinder engine, the newcomer also sat on a shorter 10ft 0in wheelbase but utilised the same 4ft 8in track and suspension layout as its larger sibling. The company made 2,126 examples of the 18hp in its original form. A Mark II version appeared in Autumn 1925 but was heavily revised the following Spring complete with a new chassis and enlarged 2872cc engine. Two versions of the updated design were available, the 'Long' and 'Short' derivatives differing in terms of wheelbase length and final drive ratio etc. The bigger engine soon attracted the attention of the taxation authorities and thus the 18hp Mark II became the 20hp for the 1927 season. The Short 20hp and Long 20hp remained in production until 1931 by which time a total of 6,641 18hp Mark 2 and 20hp cars had been completed. The Short chassis car was much more popular than the Long 20 and made up three-quarters of total production. The Short-Chassis car was more affordable and would have performed better than the Long-Chassis when fitted with the increasingly popular and heavy saloon coachwork.

Entering the late Sir Colin Hope's collection in 1996, this particular 18hp MKII Short Tourer has since been treated to an engine overhaul. A brass plaque affixed to its bulkhead indicates that the car was restored by D&C Brooks of Northampton during 1993. Little used over the past seven years, it was in running order when photographed during late October 2016 but will require recommissioning prior to road use. The Tourer appears to be complete. The paintwork and interior trim look to be in fair to good order.