French registration papers as historic vehicle
Chassis n° 879
In the same family since 1946
Light restoration in 1964
Complete and in working condition.
Founded in 1903 by Baron Charles Petiet, the Ariès brand is based in Asnières, then in Villeneuve-la-Garenne near the Aster factory which will supply a good number of engines. Ariès means "ram" in Latin, it is a symbol of power. The manufacturer quickly made a name for itself through its reliable and quality products, firstly aimed at a middle-class clientele for individual cars and then for these more modest models aimed at a wider clientele from 1907 onwards. At the same time, the French manufacturer had been manufacturing vans and trucks since its beginnings, which were widely used during the First World War. Ariès proposes a diversified production, fitted with various engines, such as the single cylinder adopted on the VT voiturette in 1908, the first French V6 engine developed in 1910, or in 1912 a valveless engine manufactured under license Knight. In 1907 the American banking crisis spread to Europe and it is in this context that type O appeared. It was a popular model that became known thanks to Edmond Baure, the brother-in-law of Baron Petiet, who could make the trip from Paris to Madrid in two days without any mechanical problems thanks to its exemplary reliability. Ariès then proves that small cars can be equal to big ones, at least in terms of endurance and performance. Only 20,000 copies will leave the production lines in 35 years, including the Spider that we present today, in October 1907.
In the same family since 1946, this car is in an exceptional conservation condition. Further than being used as a car, every element of the body, every mechanical piece or accessories are made with noble materials of great quality. To tell that this car carries its history is not spoofed so much she wears the torments of time on its body. Never modified except the bench at the back being replaced by a trunk, being more useful, in the 90’s, this car is of a rare authenticity. Put back on the road a few years ago for a classic car event after a long period of storage, the engine is exactly like the baron Petiet wished for it: robust, reliable and lively. The purchaser will be given a copy of the old registration document dating from 1972, the date on which the car left Moulin le Comte to reach the Cher, as well as his receipt of declaration of the Somme dating from 1913, his user's manual, maintenance instructions, period commercial brochure, period technical documentation of the Aster mechanics and finally a scale plan ½ of the 43 JM4 engine. There is no lack of arguments to define the originality of this car. Because of its history, its condition or the documentation that belongs to it, this Ariès is quite simply unique!