Ariès of Villeneuve-la-Garenne was founded in 1903 by Baron Charles Petiet, who would remain in charge of the company until it ceased operations in 1938. The company's first offerings were powered by engines supplied by the nearby Aster factory and the two firms would enjoy close links for many years. Smaller models used De Dion axles, larger ones chain drive up to 1912, and Ariès offered a variety of engine configurations prior to WWI including a V4, a V6 and a Knight sleeve valve type. The company opened an additional factory at Courbevoie, Seine dedicated to the manufacture of commercial vehicles, which soon outstripped that of cars. Like most motor manufacturers, Ariès prospered during WWI, securing a large contract for the supply of lorries to the French military and making Hispano-Suiza aero engines under license.
Ariès offered a wide variety of models during the 1920s and also competed at Le Mans and other endurance races with a team of 3.0-litre six-cylinder cars fitted with overhead-camshaft engines of their own make. Aster continued to supply engines for the commercial vehicles. The passenger car side of Ariès business remained relatively small and its products were necessarily more expensive than those of the mass-market manufacturers, which no doubt precipitated the firm's decline throughout the 1930s.
This Ariès lorry is powered by a four-cylinder engine believed to displace around 5.0 litres. We are advised that the vehicle was stripped down and completely rebuilt over a five-year period by previous owner Geroge Webb with no expense spared. The vehicle has been fitted with coil ignition (routed through the magneto) and is said to be easy to start using the handle and a joy to drive. Described by the private vendor as in generally very good/excellent condition, the vehicle comes with a V5C registration document.