Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1926
  • Chassis number 
    20724
  • Engine number 
    20661
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • 0
  • 0
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • 0
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

1926 Amilcar Type CS Sports
Registration no. BF 4700
Chassis no. 20724
Engine no. 20661

One of France's foremost exponents of sporting vioturettes, Amilcar introduced its first model, the Type CC, in 1921. Designed by Edmond Moyet, the CC featured Amilcar's own four-cylinder, 904cc, sidevalve engine, a three-speed gearbox and quarter-elliptic springing, and would develop into the Types CS and 4C. The example offered here is a Type CS, which has a more powerful 985cc engine, the latter professionally block-stitched. Chassis number '20724' was shipped to Australia when new and was purchased there by Robin Batcher in 2005 and brought to the UK. Mr Batcher got the engine running correctly, lightened the flywheel and fitted an SU carburettor before selling the Amilcar to Frazer Ewart in Scotland. Mr Ewart overhauled the brakes and fitted a new battery, and then competed with car on the VSCC's Scottish Trial in 2008. He then sold it to Alan Clear, who fitted the current replica body and restored the Amilcar incorporating many period-correct items. Arguably the prettiest and most sporting of the available Amilcar coachwork, the Duval-style aluminium body is fitted over a timber frame and features staggered seating and a pointed tail, the latter affording a surprisingly capacious storage compartment. The paintwork is a delightfully patinated dark blue, which is complemented by antique mid-brown leather interior trim. The engine-turned dashboard houses an 8-day clock, km/h speedometer and a tachometer, all by Jaeger, which are complemented by an exquisite Jacquet stopwatch. Illumination is provided by 'acorn' Marchal headlights, with lamps by Glaenzer of Paris to the rear. The re-cored radiator is encased in a wonderfully patinated trademark Amilcar cowl, on top of which is an original 'Pegasse' mascot. Newly painted and spoked, the wheels have drilled knock-off spinners and are shod with new Longstone tyres. Brakes are to the rear wheels only but we are advised that this light cyclecar pulls up sharply. The handbrake actuates a second pair of shoes in the rear drums. Accompanying history shows competition use in Australia during the 1960s/70s and in the UK it competed in the aforementioned VSCC trial, having held the requisite 'buff form'. Sold only because of a change in personal circumstances, this very pretty, sporting Amilcar is described as in generally very good condition, driving well. The car is offered with sundry restoration bills, current road fund licence and Swansea V5C document. Its original bronze Solex carburettor, an alternative manifold for a side-exit competition exhaust, and a small quantity of spares is included in the sale.