"In October 1955 at the Paris Motor Show, Alvis displayed its first production car styled by the Swiss carrossier, Graber. Based on the existing TC21 Grey Lady chassis, the newcomer brought a much needed injection of Continental style and modernity to the Coventry manufacturer's range. Lighter, stiffer, and with a much smaller frontal area than the traditionally styled Grey Lady, the Graber Alvis enjoyed much improved handling and a higher maximum speed in excess of 100mph. The first Graber styled model, the TC108G, was built by coachbuilders Willowbrook, before production switched to Rolls-Royce's in-house coachbuilder Park Ward on the introduction of the improved and restyled TD21.
The resultant new TD21 was announced in October 1958, benefitting from a strengthened chassis, sharp styling and increased interior space. It received excellent press, Autocar calling it 'one of the most enchanting owner-driver cars imaginable'. Initially power output was 104bhp, increasing to 115bhp for 1959 cars from the straight six engine. A Series II version was launched in July 1962, distinguishable by slightly reworked panels, recessed fog lamps in place of the air vents and aluminium door frames, while all round disc brakes became standard, as did a five speed ZF gearbox. Wire wheels could be specified, also reclining seats.
This lovely manual transmission example has had an interesting history, having been owned for twenty years by Thomas Hall, owner of a successful taxi firm in Glasgow. He was well known in the city and was regularly seen driving the car. So much so in fact, that an article in the Dunoon Observer from 2007 titled ‘Tommy’s Dream Machine’ appeared documenting some of his adventures and history with the car. Prior to his ownership the car had resided in London for the previous ten years.
By the time Mr. Hall came to sell the car it required some attention and a restoration was undertaken in 2013. This included a repaint in Rolls-Royce Velvet Blue, new front wings, new wiring loom, engine rebuild, woodwork re-lacquered, new mohair hood, chrome restored, a conversion to wire wheels and much more. There were also some practical modifications including a Kenlow fan and a battery cut-off switch. The car was sold in 2016 to a gentleman in Guernsey where it has resided ever since.
This lovely example is well known to The Alvis Club and has been on numerous adventures abroad. A matching numbers example this car comes supplied with V5C registration document, new MoT test certificate and a comprehensive history file."