Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1948
  • Mileage 
    94 890 mi / 152 711 km
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Country VAT 
    GB
  • Chassis number 
    518
  • Engine number 
    T.B.A.
  • Lot number 
    75
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

- 1948 K1 chassis fitted with K2 body in period

- Exported to New Zealand and owned by Rob Williams for over forty years

- Restored in New Zealand with 235 cu. in. side valve

Sydney Allard commenced his racing career with a Morgan three-wheeler. Other circuit machines followed before he turned to the world of trials, and what's regarded as the first true Allard was reputedly constructed in just 18 days and nights, and comprised a modified Ford chassis powered by a 3.6-litre Ford flathead V8 engine. However, his most famous special was the Steyr-Allard. This fearsome hillclimb car, powered by a war-surplus, air-cooled 3.7-litre V8 engine driving through twin rear wheels, carried its designer/driver to victory in the 1949 British Hillclimb Championship. The first production Allards quickly ensued. The K was a two-seater Sports model, the L a four-seater Tourer and the J, a two-seater competition version of the K. All three were based on Ford mechanicals (Sydney's day job was running a Ford dealership) and featured the infamous Les Ballamy-designed split front axle that was to become an Allard trademark.

The delightfully-presented Allard now offered is a 1948 K1 that was delivered new to a customer in Gloucester as a rolling chassis. Sometime later (c.1950) it was equipped with a K2 body before being imported to New Zealand by Mr James Julian George. Little is then known about the car until its purchase by Rob Williams in 1974. For the next 20 years he vigorously campaigned the Allard in gymkhanas and hillclimbs until, in his own words, the original 3.6-litre (221ci) side-valve engine was 'knackered'. At this point the car was treated to a complete restoration and the engine refurbished around a later 3.9-litre (235ci) block and Offenhauser finned aluminium 400 heads, to which other performance parts were added. It was then raced as late as New Zealand's Leadfoot Festival of 2015, after which Mr Williams retired from the sport. This fascinating and remarkably original Allard is now offered in splendid order, complete with Allard Owners' Club authentication.