1929 Alfa Romeo 1750

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1929
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Lot number 
    68
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Original condition
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Grey
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

US title
EU customs cleared
Chassis n° 6C 0412061
Engine n° 6C 0412294

- Interesting original coachwork
- Equipped with a DOHC engine
- Nice original patina

After the failure of their 1923 P1 Grand Prix Alfa Romeo recruited the brilliant Fiat engineer Vittorio Jano, who swiftly rapidly designed an overhead-camshaft, 2-litre straight 8 engine closely related to Fiat's, but more refined and better balanced, and thus better able to support the higher speed obtained by using a compressor. This engine served as the basis for Jano's six-cylinder, 1500cc engine with single overhead camshaft from 1925, designed as a tourer to replace the heavy RL road-cars that had first appeared in 1920. The 6-cylinder 1500 came on the market in 1927, but its still-excessive weight stymied performance and Jano was asked to provide a new engine. He began by designing twin overhead-camshaft versions of the 1500, the 1500 Sport and 1500 Super Sport; then, returning to a single camshaft, increased the capacity to 1752cc. Sports drivers were delighted by the appearance soon afterwards of the 1750 double-cam, or 1750 Sport, followed by the 1750 Gran Sport, sometimes fitted with a compressor. The victories obtained by these factory cars, with fixed cylinder-head engines powered to 102bhp with compressor, generated tremendous publicity for the 1750 production series. Meanwhile the Turismo (first with a single camshaft engine, then with a twin-camshaft) and Gran Turismo series (with a more powerful twin-camshaft engine, with or without compressor) represented the bulk of production, spread over six series from 1929-33. The last cars to be made were equipped with 1900cc engines.

The car presented here is a Series 3. Its chassis was delivered new to British coachbuilders James Young in 1929. According to a copy of its original Registration Book, it was registered on 27 February 1930 as a mouse-Gray, four-seater cabriolet with claret interior. Its various U.K. have ensured its regular maintenance in original condition, except for the replacement of the original engine by a double-camshaft, 46bhp engine from 1930, taken from an identical Turismo Series 3. Today in an Italian collection, it is an extremely rare Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Turismo, with its original cabriolet bodywork by a leading name in British coachbuilding.