1929 Talbot 14/45
- Year of manufacture1929
- Chassis number26438
- Lot number516
- Number of seats2
- Exterior colourOther
- Fuel typePetrol
1929 Talbot 14-45hp Type AG Weymann Saloon
Registration no. WE 5880
Chassis no. 26438
"A car which possesses those somewhat indefinable characteristics which go to make up a thoroughbred machine" ? so The Autocar Road Test of the Talbot 14-45hp Weymann Saloon reported on 29th November 1929. Coatalen had approved the Roesch-designed 14-45hp model as early as 1926 and the new model, ultimately replacing the 12-30hp car, was presented to much acclaim at the 1926 Motor Show after an extraordinarily brief drawing -board to production period. The 1,666cc overhead valve, six-cylinder engine with four speed gearbox gave 60mph performance and 20mpg fuel economy and the new model was throughout exceptionally well equipped in every detail. In tourer form the AD, as it was designated, sold for a competitive £395 and the whole of the resources of Talbot were concentrated on production of this new model. The AF of 1927 saw an increased power output to 46bhp and the AG model launched in 1928 featured enhancements to chassis design, a fashionable sprung steering wheel and other refinements which meant that many parts from earlier models were not interchangeable. Roesch himself had tested the AG in the Alps, demonstrating a top speed of 65 mph and had cut half an hour off the Talbot record time from Calais to Geneva ? he was satisfied that this was the ultimate development of the 14-45hp model.
Talbot Production and Sales Records show that this car was despatched from the Talbot Works to the coachbuilder, Darracq, in May 1929 and was delivered with its Weymann patent coachwork on 27th June that year to Ernest W. Hatfield Ltd., motor dealers of Sheffield. Although its complete history is not recorded it is believed that it remained in its early ownership and was re-licenced for use immediately after the end of the 1939-1945 hostilities. The sudden death of its then owner in 1946 saw the car laid up until 1981 when it was bought, still in remarkably original condition, as part of a house sale and some refurbishment took place in the new ownership. In 1987 the fortunes of WE 5880 changed significantly for the better when it was acquired by Talbot enthusiast Graham Mellish of Bredbury, near Stockport. Recognising that he had acquired a time-warp car he set about a major mechanical restoration and carefully conserved every detail of the coachwork and fittings wherever possible. Parts were sourced from the likes of Arthur Archer while much work was carried out by Talbot 'guru' Bill Barrott and other Talbot specialists. Invoices on file and offered with the car attest to the work carried out during Mellish's ownership , important work including a major engine rebuild with new valves and guides, crankshaft reground, cylinders re-bored etc etc and the gearbox was refurbished as necessary. In fact inspection of the invoices, which we recommend, shows that practically all mechanical aspects were addressed during the Mellish ownership. Mellish was influenced by seeing a photograph of Kitty Brunell participating in the 1930 Monte Carlo Rally in a similar car to change slightly the appearance of WE 5880 by adding additional auxiliary driving lights and adding a further side mounted spare wheel, similar to the Brunell car. This involved modifying the nearside front wing and the opportunity was taken at that time to remake all four wings on the car. Four new wheels were made for the car while the other two were respoked and the car sits on almost unused tyres. Mellish spared no expense in bringing WE 5880 to the best possible condition he was able. Upon the demise of Graham Mellish the car was acquired by his friend , a fellow Talbot enthusiast, highly respected in Talbot circles. Acquiring the car in 2008 conservation of originality remained the uppermost priority in the new (and present) ownership. The front and rear seat squabs had long since disappeared and the new owner was to replace these along with the rather time-worn carpets. Otherwise the interior remains in beautiful original condition. The condition of the coachwork is reflected in the closing of all four doors ? which 'self-close' in Weymann style when the car is parked on level ground ? the ultimate test of Weymann quality and condition. This connoisseur's car has a wealth of delightful fittings ? note the castellated fuel filler cap incorporating a dip stick which doubles also as a tool for opening the rear luggage grid, the neat front passenger door lock, the other doors locking from the inside (hence the need for the front bench seat) the wind deflectors on the side windows, the distinctive Talbot 'arrow' indicators, now supplemented by discreet modern indicators, the Boyce motometer, the underbonnet oil can and the original Talbot jack.
The vendor believes this might be the only Talbot remaining to this specification. He has used the car sparingly during his ownership in view of his advancing years but a recent short drive in this car in the lower Yorkshire Dales demonstrated well its obvious capabilities.
This extremely pleasant late vintage car is offered with a good history file and a mellowed patina the restorer cannot replicate.