From the time of its introduction in 1948 the Triumph Trophy was established as a true all-rounder: a machine that could be ridden to work during the week and then, with extraneous components removed, competed on at weekends in its owner's chosen branch of motorcycle sport. Although catalogued primarily as a trials machine, its true forte was scrambles and the ISDT, events in which the power of the tuneable Triumph twin worked to its advantage and its weight was less of a handicap. The arrival of a new swinging-arm frame for 1955 finally put paid to the Trophy's pretensions as a one-day trials mount, for although the rear suspension enhanced traction and improved the handling, the lengthened wheelbase and increased weight rendered it un-competitive. Nevertheless, the TR5 remained an extremely competent and stylish roadster until the end of production in 1958.
This particular Trophy was restored by a previous owner in the 1980s, with some of the work carried out by professional restorer Robin James (see invoices on file). It was purchased by the current vendor in 2000 (receipt on file) and was used by him initially before being laid up. An interesting letter in the document file, replying to a query from a previous owner, is from Harry Woolridge at the Triumph factory, who mentions that the engine and frame were assembled on 12th April 1951. Accompanying documentation consists of an old-style V5 and old/current V5C documents. Also present are the aforementioned invoices and letter, a photocopy of the original buff logbook, details of previous owners from the DVLA, ten old MoT certificates (most recent expired May 2002) and sundry other papers. 'ECK 102' has not been used for approximately ten years and will, therefore, require some re-commissioning prior to returning to the road with a new owner.