Acme is best remembered for its association with the Rex concern; both firms had premises in Osborne Road, Coventry, Rex setting up there in 1899 and Acme a few years later. Unlike its close neighbour, which built motor cars and tricycles as well as motorcycles, the Coventry Acme Motor Company Limited was only ever a motorcycle manufacturer, its first machines being powered by the ubiquitous Minerva engine. Models fitted with Acme's own engines followed, as well as others with JAP power units. For the 1920 season, by which time it had been taken over by Rex, Acme introduced an 8hp motorcycle combination powered by a JAP v-twin engine. The latter was supplied to Acme's specification complete with magneto drive taken from the left side of the engine rather than the 'timing' side, as was usually the case with JAP motors, an arrangement that facilitated access to the ignition points. A Sturmey Archer gearbox, Brampton Biflex forks, folding foot-plates and an Amac carburettor completed the specification of what was an undeniably handsome motorcycle combination. Acme's days as an independent brand were numbered however and the two firms' ranges were unified under the 'Rex-Acme' name. This rare survivor of an historic Coventry marque was purchased from a collector in Holland in 2009. Last ridden one year ago, the machine is described as all original and comes with Belgian registration papers.