1934 Indian 1,265cc Four & Sidecar Project Frame no. to be advised Engine no. DCD281
Marketed as the Indian Ace for 1928, the Springfield Company's first four-cylinder motorcycle had resulted from its purchase of Ace rights and tooling from Detroit Motors the previous year. Having acquired the Ace, Indian made few changes for the next couple of years before beginning to put its own characteristic stamp on the Four, beginning in 1929 with a restyle (Model 401) and following up with their own leaf-sprung front fork and an improved 1,265cc engine with five-bearing crankshaft. Introduced on June 1st 1929 on the Model 402, the latter was the biggest single change made to the motor, which retained the Ace's basic architecture right up to 1936. In 1932 the Four was restyled along the lines of Indian's other models, gaining a saddle tank, new mudguards and a stronger front fork, and would continue almost unchanged for 1933 and '34. Nothing is known of the history of this 'barn find' Indian Four motorcycle combination prior to its registration in Sweden in April 1939. Accompanying registration documents list six owners, the last of which, the late Baron Carl Sparre, acquired the Indian in 1957. The Baron died in 2001 but the machine has not been used since circa 1960. Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, it represents a wonderful opportunity for the dedicated Indian enthusiast to return one of these charismatic and desirable models to its former glory.