1937 AJS Other
Year of manufacture1937
Engine number37/2 2416
1937 AJS 982cc Model 37/2 Project
Registration no. CYE 904
Frame no. 581
Engine no. 37/2 2416
Following the Matchless take-over of 1931, AJS production was relocated to Plumstead where the existing range continued largely unaltered initially. Indeed, the two marques would retain largely separate identities until the outbreak of WW2. AJS's own 998cc sidevalve v-twin was one of the first models to be dropped, disappearing at the end of the '31 season, and for the next 12 months there was no large-capacity 'sidecar tug' in the range. That changed for 1933 with the arrival of the Model 2, which was powered by the engine of the long established Matchless Model X. Designated 'X/2' on its launch in 1925, this 982cc sidevalve v-twin would remain in production until the outbreak of WW2, its engine being supplied to Brough Superior for use in the SS80 from 1935 onwards. While lesser models came and went, the stately Model X and Model 2 remained fixtures of their respective ranges, progressively updated, until 1940.
This AJS Model 2 was purchased from Verrals in 1979 (original purchase receipt on file) in a dismantled state by the vendor and his late brother circa 30 years ago. The vendor's brother passed away and the machine has remained in pieces ever since although more recently the machine has benefitted from a reconditioned flywheel assembly together with new bearings. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves with regard to this motorcycle's completeness, or otherwise, prior to bidding. The machine is offered with an old-style continuation logbook and an old-style V5 registration document.