1955 Lancia Aurelia

B24 Spyder America

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1955
  • Automobiltyp 
    Cabriolet / Roadster
  • Chassisnummer 
    B24-1039
  • Motornummer 
    B24-1038
  • Losnummer 
    36
  • Lenkung 
    Rechts
  • Zustand 
    Restauriert
  • Innenfarbe 
    Beige
  • Innenausstattung 
    Leder
  • Anzahl der Türen 
    2
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    2
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Rot
  • Getriebe 
    Schaltgetriebe
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

German title

- Older, high-quality restoration
- In same ownership for nearly 40 years
- Legendary model, extremely rare in right-hand drive

This Lancia has quite a pedigree: it was the last model designed with the involvement of Vittorio Jano. Its 2-litre V6 was a development of the earlier V4 engines, and to ensure good weight distribution, the engineers designed a rear-mounted transaxle with inboard-mounted brakes. After the saloon, this layout was adopted for the famous B20 GT coupé, one of the stars of the 1951 Turin Show, at which it was presented, thanks to its elegant design by Felice Boano at Ghia (although the car was subsequently built by Pinin Farina). Right away, the car's sporting qualities became apparent and it was not long before success followed, starting with Bracco's second place on the famous Mille Miglia in May 1951, behind Villoresi's much more powerful Ferrari. The Aurelia soon added victories on the Targa Florio, the Liège-Rome-Liège and the Monte-Carlo Rally to its tally. Technically, a number of changes were made, reflecting the wishes of its customers who were drawn to the emerging GT category: they wanted sporting performance, for sure, but comfort too. The main changes were to uprate the engine to 2.5 litres and 115bhp, and to adopt a de Dion rear axle for greater stability.
At this time, a version intended specifically for the United States was introduced, the B24 Spyder America. Based on a shortened coupé chassis, it was a very attractive roadster with a panoramic windscreen. Presented at the Brussels Motor Show in 1955, the B24 Spyder owed its lines to the masterful work of Francesco Martinengo for Pinin Farina. It was followed by a less sporty version, the B24 Convertible, which had wind-up windows and a more conventional windscreen. Compared with the coupé, the open models were produced in much smaller numbers, with 240 Spyders and 521 Convertibles built, adding rarity to the Lancia's charm.

The Lancia Aurelia Spyder America presented here was imported into Austria by Rudolf Smolinger, the national distributor for Citroën and Lancia, based in Vienna. It was registered by the company on 14 July 1955, before being sold three months later to the motorcycle manufacturer KTM Motorfahrzeugbau in Mattighofen. The car was no doubt used by one of the firm's directors as a company car. It kept the same registration number for ten years, until its second owner came onto the scene, a Mr B., who was the owner of a cinema at Hallein, near Salzburg. He appears to have used the car until 1978, when it was re-registered in the name of Mr F. U.
At the start of the 1980s, the Spyder was entrusted to B&F Touring Garage, a Lancia restoration specialist at Troisdorf in Germany, for a complete restoration. It was then sold to its current owner, a major German collector, who finished the restoration to his own taste. Everything was restored to the highest possible standard and a completely rebuilt engine was located by B&F Touring Garage, the original V6 having disappeared earlier in the car's life. This engine, which is still fitted to the car today, came from another B24 Spyder and is therefore correct for the model.
The current owner has used the car very sparingly and sent it back to B&F Touring Garage in 2010 for a complete technical overhaul. Since then, it has been meticulously maintained. With its superbly aligned panels and well finished paintwork, the car is in splendid condition today, a tribute to the remarkable quality of the restoration carried out in the 1980s, and has only taken on a slight but attractive patina. When its current owner bought the car, its odometer was showing 20,000km. Today, it has clocked up a further 10,000km on rallies and tourist outings. The car has always been meticulously looked after by B&F Touring Garage, which considers it one of the best examples it has worked on. Watched over by the same owner for nearly 40 years, it is a highly desirable example of the model.

Photos © Peter Singhof

Full set of pictures available on our online catalogue: https://www.artcurial.com/fr/lot-1955-lancia-b24-spyder-america-4058-36