1923 Vauxhall 30/98
AutomobiltypConvertible / Roadster
- Chassis OE50 is one of the earlier OE models with the attractive and desirable low radiator and low-set headlamps.
- Famously driven from Persia to Manchester in 1930 and documented in The Autocar.
- Bodied by Mulliner in 1934 to the attractive two-seater Boat Tail configuration, uprated to 4 wheel brake specification.
- Accompanied by a thoroughly documented history file and maintenance records.
- Supplied with VSCC Buff Form, eligible for historic events and rally’s, in fine running order
OE50’s story began in 1923 when supplied new by Graham Bros of Manchester to Mr Ager who used the 30/98 as company car for his business in Persia where the Vauxhall was immediately exported to. Mr Agers’s son Charles frequently visited Persia and had dreamed of one day embarking on the journey home by road in OE50, this dream was to become true in 1930. The 30/98 had been living in Persia for 7 years and in Charles’s own words “it did not receive a great deal of special preparation for the run home”. They did however fit blocks between the springs and axles to allow for greater ground clearance, the rear seat was removed to allow a 56 gallon tank to be fitted and their personal equipment which included “one wardrobe trunk, 2 suit-cases and one gramophone”. With no major incidents (other that a slight discrepancy with the Turkish customs) Mr Ager completed the journey in 35 days with no backup car or support team!
OE50 has remained in the UK since the return in 1930; the cross continental journey had taken its toll on the open tourer body and in 1934 during Mr M Ingoldby’s ownership the beautiful Mulliner Two Seater body she wears today was fitted. Being one of the first 60 OE models produced there were no factory fitted front brakes and with the 30/98 being able to turn a speed of 100 mph, the wise and common fitment or a Delage front axle to allow for 4 wheel brakes took place. The thick history file shows long term ownership and continuous maintenance including an older full restoration by Arthur Archer of Dunmow.