1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II

Continental Park Ward Sports

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1934
  • Automobiltyp 
    Limousine
  • Chassisnummer 
    24SK
  • Motornummer 
    NA35
  • Losnummer 
    43
  • Lenkung 
    Rechts
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Markenfarbe außen 
    Black & Grey
  • Markenfarbe innen 
    Grey
  • Innenausstattung 
    Leder
  • Anzahl der Türen 
    4
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    2
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Grau
  • Getriebe 
    Schaltgetriebe
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

DESCRIPTION
Launched as a successor to the commercially successful New Phantom in 1929 and the last new model designed under the extraorinary talent of Sir Henry Royce, who died in April 1933, Rolls-Royce’s Phantom II featured a completely new chassis and other technological advances such as unit construction for the engine and four-speed gearbox. The magnificent in-line six-cylinder engine, with a bore of 4 ¼- inches and stroke of 5 ½- inches and displacing 7668cc, benefited from additional power thanks to a new cross-flow cylinder head. Available on two wheelbase lengths (144-inches for the standard model and 150-inches for the long), the Phantom II’s chassis had pedal-operated centralised lubrication system and mechanical brakes operating on all four wheels. Other notable features included thermostatically-operated radiator shutters and the addition of synchromesh on third and top gears in 1932 (and on second for cars made from 1935 onwards). Built in decent numbers considering the prevailing economic conditions of the day, the Phantom II sold in both right and left-hand drive guises and a total of 1,680 were completed between 1929 and 1935, of which 281 were designated the much vaunted “Continental Type”. Built on a shorter wheelbase chassis, the Continental normally featured a lower raked steering column, stronger rear springs, a higher axle ratio and ride control, although every car’s specification differed slightly. The vast majority of Phantom IIs found customers in Great Britain, with Australia accounting for just 16 cars when new, although this number has risen over the years, with approximately 50 or so survivors residing in this country today. Thanks to the lower chassis, repositioned radiator and steering column, the coachwork adorning the Phantom II was some of the most elegant of the period, with all the major coachbuilders contributing designs in a wide range of styles, from formal limousines and sedancas to rakish fixed-head coupes. Regarded as one of the finest cars ever to wear the famous “Flying Lady” mascot, the Phantom II remains a firm favourite with Rolls-Royce enthusiasts and collectors around the world.

HISTORY
- Stunning ‘Continental’ Rolls-Royce Phantom II
- Original Park Ward coachwork
- Fabulous provenance, superb condition

With well-documented history, this fabulous Rolls-Royce Phantom II was completed to Continental specification with Sports Saloon coachwork by Park Ward (body number 3795) for client Robert Geoffrey Gunter of Alne and originally wore the UK registration mark VN 6148. Off test on June 25, 1934, 24SK dates from relatively late in the Phantom II production run and as such incorporates a host of minor improvements carried out over the model’s lifespan. A replacement log book was issued in 1950 for Scot Francis William Walker, an Olympic sportsman who resided in Leys Castle, Inverness and it was last registered there in December 1961, passing to well-known collector Fuad Majzub of Bedley, Worcestershire, a gentleman of Persian background whose son Julian actively competes in historic racing today. Ultimately making its way from Switzerland to Australia, renowned Melbourne enthusiast John D Altmann added ‘24SK’ to his select collection in 1985 and the car regularly appeared at club events over the next decade, including multiple class wins at the RROC Victorian Concours d’Elegance. The Phantom II later moved to Sydney before returning to Victoria, initially with Dr Kenneth King of Ballarat, followed by John Wilson there, fettled by specialist Robert McDermott. The current owner, a Sydney-based Rolls-Royce enthusiast, purchased ‘24SK’ thirteen years ago and has cherished the car ever since, regularly exercising it on club rallies and has been driven interstate many times. Beautifully presented, the Phantom II has been extensively restored and maintained without regard to expense over the years, the recent addition of a modern power steering system improving the driving experience without compromising the originality. Retaining all the major original components, including the engine and coachwork, this 1934 Phantom II Continental is one of approximately ten left in Australia and certainly one of the most significant examples of the marque in the country. Currently registered in NSW until April 2019, this remarkable car comes supplied with a Phantom II handbook, extensive history file and complete tool kit, along with a period-style touring kit in the luggage compartment. Offered for sale on full NSW registration expiring 4-4-2019.

Note: Shannons advise that all potential buyers research all vehicles before purchase to authenticate originality.