The Ford Model A was the Ford Motor Company’s second market success, after its predecessor the Model T, which had been built for 18 years. Production started on 20th October 1927 and by July 1928 more than two million had already been sold continuing Fords success.
The Ford Model A offered here by Autostorico is a right-hand drive car that was manufactured in Canada, and then shipped to New Zealand when new. It was registered in New Zealand on 1stJanuary 1930, and was among the first of the facelifted cars with the higher radiator and restyled wings. It was owned by a Mr V Scarborough who worked for the diplomatic service. When posted to Fiji, he took the car with him. It was brought to the UK in the mid 1990’s. It is presented in a 2 tone Green with Black wings and a Beige cloth interior. It sits on Whitewall tyres as it would have done in period.
It appears to have undergone a major body-off rebuild at some time, probably while still in New Zealand. It is fitted with a Model B engine with pressure fed oil to the main bearings and a balanced crankshaft, which gives it rather better performance than the A unit. The brakes have recently been overhauled with cast-iron drums replacing the original pressed steel ones. The wheel nuts were all replaced, and the rear brake pivot bearings renewed. The front brake actuation has also been improved. A rebuilt dynamo was fitted and a new battery was installed about a year ago. The cylinder head has been removed, studs replaced, decoked, and new head nuts fitted along with a new head gasket and new hoses. A new coil along with the distributor ‘innards’ of modern design are installed.