1949 Bentley Mark VI Sports Saloon Project Coachwork by H J Mulliner Registration no. HFS 939 Chassis no. B-3-EW Engine no. B252E
The policy of rationalisation begun in the late 1930s continued at Rolls-Royce after the war with the introduction in 1946 of standard bodywork which, in a break from the coachbuilt tradition, was made of pressed steel panels welded together. This new 'standard steel' body was available at first only on the Mark VI Bentley, its Rolls-Royce sister car, the Silver Dawn, being delayed until 1949. A separate chassis was retained, the same basic design being built in three different wheelbase lengths, that of the Mark VI (Silver Dawn) measuring 10' exactly. Notable features included independent front suspension and hydraulic front brakes. Powering the range was a new 4,257cc six-cylinder engine featuring inlet-over-exhaust valve gear and breathing through a Stromberg carburettor (Rolls-Royce) or twin SUs (Bentley).
Despite the popularity of the 'standard steel' body, a coachbuilt alternative remained the preferred choice of many Rolls-Royce and Bentley customers. Bodied by H J Mulliner, a company Rolls-Royce would later acquire, chassis number 'B-3-EW' has had only one owner since 1968. We are advised that the Bentley received a new engine and gearbox in 1967, and that it has not run since the last MoT certificate was issued in January 2012. Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, the car comes with the aforementioned expired MoT certificate and a V5 registration document.