1958 Aston Martin DB2/4

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1958
  • Automobiltyp 
    Sonstige
  • Chassisnummer 
    AM300/3/1433
  • Motornummer 
    DBA1059
  • Losnummer 
    SA-0006712
  • Lenkung 
    Rechts
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Markenfarbe außen 
    Midnight Blue
  • Innenfarbe 
    Blau
  • Markenfarbe innen 
    Blue
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Sonstige
  • Getriebe 
    Schaltgetriebe

Beschreibung

The DB 2/4 Mk III (normally known as the Mk III, even at the time of its introduction) was a sports car hand-built and sold by Aston Martin from 1957 through to 1959. It was an evolution of the DB2/4 Mk II and retained the earlier car's W.O. Bentley-designed, Lagonda 2.9L straight-6 engine, redesigned by Tadek Marek.

Changes included a grill similar to the company's racing DB3S, a new instrument panel, and for the first time ever on an Aston, disc brakes. The hydraulically operated clutch was new as well, and an optional Laycock-de Normanville overdrive, attached to the 4-speed gearbox became standard after the first 100 cars. Worm-and-sector steering and a live axle rear end were also carried forward from previous models.

The standard DBA engine model with twin SU carburettors produced 162hp, though an optional dual-exhaust system (a claimed 16 bhp increase) raised this to a reputed 178hp. Thus equipped, the car could reach 60 mph in 9.3 seconds and hit 120 mph.

We are delighted to be able to offer this exquisite DB 2/4 MkIII for the first time since it was purchased by the current family custodians over 56 years ago. The first owner was a Mr W. Griffith from Somerset, who owned chassis number AM300/3/1433 until 1960, when he placed an advert in the local newspaper. Mr Marcus Green, a long-standing member of the Aston Martin Owner's Club, saw the advert and immediately arranged a viewing. A deal was struck and Mr Green bought the car, which is still in his garage today. In 2003, the car was inherited by Mr Green's son in law, himself a skilled mechanical engineer, who set about restoring the Aston to its former glory.

The restoration was a complete body-off nut and bolt rebuild that took place over 2-3 years. A photographic record documents this process and significant time and effort was put into ensuring the shut lines were better than when new. The original engine was rebuilt and the interior trimmed to a high specification. The car today is reading a mere 67,000 miles from new and still presents beautifully with dark blue paintwork that retains an excellent shine.

One of the most impressive aspects of this vehicle is the substantial history file that documents a lifetime of ownership. Bills and receipts dating back to the 1960s show that it has been cared for throughout its life and make for a fascinating read. In addition, the complete original tool kit can be found under the bonnet along with the chassis plate and many other original components.

A significant part of family history for over 50 years, it is now time for this Aston Martin to find a new keeper who will hopefully preserve it for many future generations to come.

 

]]>