1956 Aston Martin DB2

Zusammenfassung

  • Baujahr 
    1956
  • Chassisnummer 
    AM300/1185
  • Motornummer 
    370/PP300/1185
  • Losnummer 
    385
  • Lenkung 
    Links
  • Zustand 
    Gebraucht
  • Zahl der Sitze 
    2
  • Standort
  • Außenfarbe 
    Sonstige
  • Antrieb 
    Zweirad
  • Kraftstoff 
    Benzin

Beschreibung

1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII 3.7-Litre Coupé
Coachwork by Tickford
Registration no. OVS 519
Chassis no. AM300/1185
Engine no. 370/PP300/1185

'David Brown had a good eye for styling; he even made his tractors look good. He was also one of the few people who could change the shape of the DB2 without detracting from its appearance.' – Chris Harvey, 'Aston Martin and Lagonda'.

David Brown's acquisition of Tickford Ltd in 1953 led to bodywork for the revised DB2/4 MkII being manufactured by the Newport Pagnell coachbuilder. With the launch of the '2+2' DB2/4 in October 1953, Aston Martin had extended the DB2's appeal to the hitherto untapped yet increasingly important market comprised of 'sports car enthusiasts with a family'. Modifications to the rear of the chassis plus a reduction in fuel tank capacity from 19 to 17 gallons liberated sufficient space within the existing design for two child-sized occasional rear seats.

Mechanically the same as the 'MkI', the MkII was identifiable by its subtly altered lines, the most significant change being a ¾" increase in roof height that afforded greater headroom. In MkII form the DB2/4 continued to be available as a close-coupled sports saloon or drophead coupé, while for the first time an alternative fixed-head coupé was made available, of which 34 were made.

Standard specification included the 2.6-litre 'VB6E' engine in 125bhp Vantage tune, but from early in 1954 the 3-litre 140bhp 'VB6J' engine was installed, providing 118mph top speed and 60mph in around 11 seconds. This was one of the fastest cars then built in Great Britain - with l00mph achievable in third gear and around 120mph maximum - possessing impeccable handling plus a level of comfort rare in any high-performance car.

The accompanying copy guarantee form shows that left-hand drive chassis number '1185' was sold new via Majestic Automobiles in France to its first owner: Raymond Gallizia of Montbeliard. The colour scheme is recorded as Sea Green (top) with Deep Carriage Green (lower) and red Connolly hide interior, while the only non-standard item listed is Alfin brakes. Additional owners recorded are C Carnaghan of Ashtead, Surrey (1984) and Mr Eckard Sacuss (2003). The Aston Martin Register notes that this car had a 3.7-litre DB4 engine fitted at the Works after two engine failures, but there is corroborating evidence establishing the date. Neither is there formal evidence that it was retained by the Works for experimental purposes. Sold strictly as viewed, the car is offered with current MoT and V5 registration document.