Coys Auction - The Festival Auction
Incorporating The Excellence of Porsche
Sunday 25th May 2008
Collectors'' Items: 2.30pm
Motor Cars: 4.30pm
TVR was founded in 1947 by Trevor Wilkinson, under the name of Trevcar Motors. In 1954 Wilkinson changed the name of the company to TVR by removing two vowels and a consonant from his first name. The first car was built in 1949 and four years later the concept of glass-reinforced plastic bodywork over a tubular steel backbone chassis was born, and it has continued to this day. Many of the early cars were sold in kit form to avoid a British tax on assembled cars but in the 1970s the tax loophole was closed and the kit form option was removed.
In the late 1950s TVRs were powered by four cylinder engines from Coventry Climax, BMC *or* Ford, with some performance models having Shorrock superchargers. As with many other British sports cars, engine sizes remain