1932 Rolls-Royce 20/25 H.P.
Year of manufacture1932
Mileage10 046 mi / 16 168 km
"DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL, THIS LOT HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM THE AUCTION
Over the past eight decades, the 20/25hp Rolls-Royce has earned an enviable reputation of being among the most dependable, satisfying, and highest-quality pre-war models of all. Produced from 1929 to 1935, it represented the marque’s determined effort to move away from the more formal cars, routinely chauffeur-driven, to a newly fashionable, coach-built market for the wealthy private owner-driver.
This ‘long chassis’ 20/25, which came off-test in March 1932, was not sold to its first owner until some years later, not untypical during the inter-war years. It was fitted with a four-light, Park Ward body with division, adding extra privacy for the passengers. It was supplied new to a Mr. Alexander Cameron Esq. of Esher, Surrey via George H. Wagstaff of Shaftesbury Avenue in 1937. A copy of the factory build sheet is included within the history file as well as the original pre-war registration.
In 1955, records show an ownership change from Lily Cameron, presumably the widow of the first owner, to The Southern Motor Co. and, shortly thereafter, to Sir Arthur Cary who had a position in the Ministry of Defence. He, reportedly, owned the car until 1974 shortly before his death in 1976. During Sir Arthur’s ownership, the vehicle was serviced by Paddon Bros. with paperwork on file.
GKT6 then passed to Mr. Hugh Keller in October 1974. There follows a gap of some years until 1995 when Mr. Michael Redfern of Over Alderley, Macclesfield bought the car from Mrs. Ann Wood, the widow of the previous owner. GKT6 has been in current RREC-member’s ownership and regular use since 2004. Since this time, a number of important improvements have taken place including the fitting of a Laycock overdrive unit in 2006; and modifications to coolant waterways and stripping, adjustment and rebuild of the crankshaft dampers. The front axle has also been stripped and rebuilt, wiring refurbished, and all wheels shotblasted and powder coated with correct-sized Excelsior Sport radial tyres fitted. More recently, the one-shot lubrication system has been refurbished and the front axle dismantled and rebuilt. The fuel filter has also been replaced with a modern insert, indistinguishable from the original, as well as a new radiator core fitted.
The dynamo has been rewound and regulator replaced to solve the low-charge rate associated with this model’s dynamo arrangement. The ignition coil has also been replaced with a more modern arrangement and the fusebox replaced and vehicle wiring refurbished in correct cotton-braided cabling.
The interior has not been ignored, new West-of-England headlining has been fitted, new carpets and wood trim refurbished as well as repairs to the leather upholstery and replacement leather gaiters all round. 2010/11 saw all the external chrome replated and the dash-mounted Watford clock refurbished. Clearly much care and attention has gone into the gentle but thorough recommissioning of this most elegant of motor cars. Right down to the new battery, immobiliser, windscreen glass and discretely fitted radio/CD player. As you would expect, the car has been serviced regularly with fluids and filters changed and complete with a 12-month MoT test certificate. To be driven to the sale, reliable and yet supremely elegant."