1961 Porsche 356

B Kurbahn

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1961
  • Mileage 
    999 999 km / 621 371 mi
  • Car type 
    Custom
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Restoration Project
  • Interior colour 
    Red
  • Number of doors 
    more
  • Number of seats 
    more
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    White
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Performance 
    60 PS / 45 kW / 60 BHP
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Diesel

Description

We offer this Porschelok on www.getyourclassic.com for auction:
https://getyourclassic.com/item/porschelok-kurbahnle/

New types of locomotives and trains were developed for the 1959 Federal Garden Show in Dortmund. Initially, four of the locomotives now known as "Porsche locomotives" were used in the Westfalenpark. Three four-axle passenger cars were available for each of them. Another locomotive was delivered in 1959 and used as a reserve. Further locomotives were delivered to Saarbrücken in 1959 and were used there from 1960. The front end of the locomotives was based on the look of the Porsche 356, using components from the DKW 3=6, and they were powered by a Porsche industrial engine with 1600 cubic centimeters of displacement and an output of 56 hp. Overall, the design was based on the TEE multiple unit train, which was fashionable in the late 1950s. The trains were developed on the basis of an idea by the merchant Henry Escher. Seventeen trains of this design were built, which also ran on other Garden Show railroads in later years.
The idea of making it easier for Freudenstadt vacationers to get to Parkwald was born in 1957. Even then there were hurdles to overcome with the authorities, and so in the spring of 1960 the official permit was issued and in the summer of 1961 operations could finally begin. The founding partners at that time were Mia Broermann, Siegfried Klaus, Ernst Luz, Fritz Klumpp and Karl-Heinz Katz. The first train consisted of a traction engine and two trailers, was about 25 meters long and had room for about 40 guests. The engine driver of the Waldbahn, Josef Hafner and his wife Rose, were a stroke of luck for the Freudenstadt Bähnle. For more than 30 years, he was the "Waldbahn Hafner" and was part of the townscape with the Waldbahn. Until 1991, he made around 60,000 trips from the market square to the park forest, bringing all the sights of the town and the beauty and possibilities of the Freudenstadt park forest closer to the guests. Under the Kässbohrer attachment of the tractor slumbered a jewel: a 60 hp Porsche 356 engine, revered by connoisseurs as the "Lady".
One of the trackless trains that Henry Escher had built at the Kässbohrer company in Ulm starting in 1960. Escher owned at least twelve of these units by the end of the 1960s, in addition to those that had already been built at the Sollinger Hütte in the 1950s. Others were owned by Hannelore Grandmontagne in Karlsruhe and two by Pless in Hamburg. They were used at federal garden shows, in zoos, as fair shuttles and on airfield aprons.
The Porsche locomotives were used in various locations, usually first at a garden show: Dortmund, Westfalenpark, from the 1959 Federal Garden Show to 1990; Saarbrücken, German-French Garden, from the 1960 Garden Show to the present; Amsterdam, Amstelpark, Floriade 1972 and 1975 to the present; Karlsruhe, Schlossgarten (since BUGA 1967 to the present; parked in the meantime); Cologne Rheinpark (BUGA 1971, as well as 2001 to the present); Hamburg IGA 1963 and 1973 (1963 to 1982); Mannheim Federal Garden Show 1975; Stuttgart Federal Garden Show 1977 in the Schlossgarten; Bonn Federal Garden Show 1979; and Ulm State Garden Show 1980.

Porsche rides were thus an integral part of the Federal Garden Shows and International Garden Shows for over two decades. Only for the Federal Garden Show in Essen in 1965 was a different gas-powered train model developed, and in Stuttgart in 1961 the tried-and-tested Killesberg train was in use.