1959 Porsche 356

Convertible D

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1959
  • Mileage 
    38 040 mi / 61 220 km
  • Car type 
    Convertible / Roadster
  • Chassis number 
    85775
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Interior colour 
    Blue
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Silver
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

1959 Porsche 356A Convertible D
The successor to the famed Porsche Speedster was the Convertible D model, which was introduced in August of 1958, and was limited to only 1,331 cars built between August 1958 and September 1959. Possibly only less than half remain today. The “D” stood for Karosseriewerke Drauz KG, a Coachbuilder located in Heilbronn. The capacity at Reutter was gradually becoming overgrown so Porsche needed a new location to build the additional units of their new model. The Porsche Convertible D was fitted with either the 70 bhp (SAE), 1,582 cc OHV air-cooled horizontally opposed four-cylinder Type 616/1 engine, or the 75-horsepower Type 616/2 Super. With a curb weight of less than 2,000 pounds, the Convertible D could reach 60 mph in a little more than 14 seconds in Normal form, and it was capable of topping 100 mph. With relatively quick steering (2.3 turns lock to lock), handling was very good, and the large four-wheel drum brakes were quite effective. The new Normal Porsche Convertible D was fitted with dual Solex carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with torsion bars, trailing arms, tubular shock absorbers, independent swing-axle rear suspension with torsion bars, radius arms, and four-wheel drum brakes.
The Convertible D was introduced as an interim step before the arrival of the 356 B Roadster in 1960. The new car would offer buyers’ Speedster-like styling, while adding such amenities as wind-up door glass in place of side curtains, a taller windshield, better top, and a more luxurious interior compared to the Speedsters more primitive cockpit. New and larger teardrop-shaped taillights would replace the earlier “bee-hive” style lamps, and U.S. cars were fitted with front and rear bumper guards and over-riders. They were nice, yet subtle, improvements over the original Porsche Speedster.

Today, the Drauz-built convertible has become one of the most sought-after of 356 Porsches. The Convertible D is more comfortable than a Speedster and significantly rarer than the 356 B Roadster that appeared in 1960, thus it is considered by many to be the best of the three.
Paul Russell and Company is happy to offer this fully restored 1958 Porsche 356A Convertible D for sale. The car was restored in the late 90’s but still presents very nicely with excellent Silver exterior paint with Medium Blue interior and top. The car has continually been serviced by Paul Russell and Company over the past eight years while in the current and previous owners possession. It comes with a Porsche factory Cardex report listing the factory equipment as U.S. bumpers, chrome wheels, and sealed beam headlights. All bright work is clean, polished, and in great shape as are the wheels and tires. The engine is a non-original and rebuilt 912 engine. The 912 engine affords the driver the smooth acceleration of the 356 with the increased power of the later engine. The interior is in as new condition with the seat and carpets showing little to no wear. The engine, battery box area, and underbody are all detailed and in very good condition. The car also has its jack, tool roll, and matching spare tire. The car drives, shifts, and run exceptionally well and would make a wonderful car for any driving occasion. Porsches continue to appreciate while also delivering pride of ownership and enjoyment of use.