1937 Opel Kadett

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1937
  • Chassis number 
    23418127
  • Lot number 
    604
  • Drive 
    LHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

1937 Opel Kadett Coupé
Registration no. EHT 702
Chassis no. 23418127

After WWI, Opel updated its Rüsselsheim factory to accommodate a Ford-type moving assembly line, ditching its existing range of models to concentrate on just one, which was a blatant copy of the successful Citroën 5CV. Known as the Laubfrosch (treefrog) because of its green livery, this new light car first appeared in the spring of 1924, setting Opel on a road to success that would see it established as Germany's largest auto maker by the end of the decade.

By 1936 the Laubfrosch had metamorphosed into the perpendicular-styled P4, which in turn was superseded by the Kadett, a unitary construction model that showed the unmistakable influence of Opel's new owners, General Motors. Mechanically almost identical to the P4, the Kadett was powered by a 1,074cc sidevalve four and in Standard guise featured beam axles and hydraulic brakes, while the more expensive Master version came with independent front suspension.

This Kadett saloon was purchased by the immediately preceding owner for the History on Wheels Museum in 1990 and has been used as 'background dressing' in various film and television productions. The current vendor purchased the car at Bonhams' Beaulieu Sale in September 2009 (Lot 467), since when the engine has been rebuilt. Accompanying documentation includes assorted expired MoTs and a V5 registration certificate.