1964 Morgan Plus 4 Drophead Coupé Registration no. CGT 590B Chassis no. 5780
Introduced in 1950, the Standard Vanguard-engined Plus 4 represented a major step forward in the evolution of the Morgan sports car. Although the traditional chassis layout was retained - what else would one expect from Morgan? ? the frame underwent extensive alteration, gaining in both wheelbase and track dimensions while being considerably strengthened. The centrally mounted Moss gearbox was carried over from the 4/4. A few years later ? in 1953 ? Morgan began the process of updating the car's appearance, which culminated in the arrival of the quintessential Morgan look in 1954.
The Plus 4 was initially offered with the 2,088cc Standard Vanguard engine, with the 1,991cc Triumph TR engine being made available from 1953, this more powerful option being preferred by most customers. In 1956 the revised TR3 power unit began to be phased in, offering 100bhp and making the Morgan Plus 4 'the cheapest 100mph car made in Britain' according to The Motor magazine. Around 1961, Plus 4s began to leave the Malvern factory fitted with the 2,138cc TR4 engine, and from 1965 with the 104bhp TR4A unit, the latter cars representing the Triumph-engined Morgan in its ultimate form.
This Triumph TR4-engined Plus 4 comes with its original logbook and a full record of works carried out by the present and previous owners. These include engine and transmission rebuilds by Morgan agents Allon White; shot-blasting and rust treating the chassis, fitting new doors, rear inner wings, and hood; repainting the body (2017); treating the seats and fitting new carpets and interior trim; and installing a new wiring loom (2016/2017). Only a minimal mileage has been covered since the engine and transmission were rebuilt. With the Plus 4 Drophead Coupé being a very rare example of this marque, and recent extensive restoration work this is an example worthy of close inspection.