"When the MGA arrived in 1955, it must have come as quite a shock to MG purists who had become accustomed to the pre-war look of the company's sports cars. It was a complete departure in styling and its beautiful streamlined body was right up to the minute in terms of appearance. It was powered by a new engine; MG had decided that the old XPAG unit had had its day and so introduced a much more modern B-series engine that had made its debut in the recently announced Magnette saloon. The 'A' was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1955. Only 5,869 cars were sold on the home market, giving the MGA the highest export percentage of any British car and was replaced by the MGB in May 1962.
Originally supplied to the U.S. and repatriated to the UK in 2016, this car underwent a major restoration immediately upon its return. The bodywork was repaired or refabricated where necessary and painted in black which has an excellent finish. The interior has been trimmed in contrasting burgundy resulting in a superb colour combination. The 1600cc engine has been fully rebuilt and converted to run on unleaded fuel, a five speed gearbox has been fitted for comfortable motoring on long journeys. Photographic evidence of the rebuild is in the history file which, by any standards, is significant with all of the invoices available confirming the restoration. Now in righthand drive format, this superb MGA is supplied with a V5C registration document and an MoT test certificate valid until April 2020. An excellent example of a great British sportscar of the 60s.