1959 MG A

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1959
  • Car type 
    Other
  • Chassis number 
    YD31732
  • Engine number 
    16G/U/997
  • Lot number 
    549
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Used
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Other
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

Guide price: £35000 - £40000. <ul><li>One of only 2,111 MGA Twin Cams produced</li><li>Fully restored and converted to right-hand drive by the previous owner</li><li>The cylinder head was machined and rebuilt by Oselli</li><li>Very smart interior superbly trimmed in red leather</li><li>Supplied with a UK V5c and Heritage certificate</li></ul><p> </p><p>Intended as a replacement for the traditional 'T'-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine that had first appeared in the ZA Magnette. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent, coil-sprung wishbone front suspension and a live rear axle. Dressed in a curvaceous aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling over 13,000 in its first full year of production. </p><p>Immensely popular though it was, the MGA faced stiff competition from the larger-engined Triumph TR3 and Austin-Healey 100/6. Coaxing more power from the standard engine was becoming increasingly difficult, so MG concentrated on developing a twin-overhead-camshaft cylinder head for the B-Series block. Conceived at Cowley by BMC engineer Gerald Palmer and introduced in 1958, the new 1,588cc engine did not disappoint. It featured a special light alloy cross-flow cylinder head with hemispherical combustion chambers and carried twin overhead camshafts with valve operation via Coventry Climax-style inverted bucket tappets, producing an impressive 108bhp at 6,700rpm. Considerably faster than the standard MGA, the Twin Cam could comfortably exceed 110mph, and to cope with the increased performance Dunlop disc brakes were fitted all round and Dunlop centre-lock wheels were a distinctive addition. The only other visual identifier was the script 'Twin Cam' near the vent aside the bonnet.  A high price and an unjustified reputation for unreliability discouraged sales, however, and the model was dropped after just two years. Production totalled 2,111 cars, a mere 360 of which were sold on the home market, and today the Twin Cam is one of the most sought-after of post-war MG sports cars.  </p><p>Offered from a private collection, this example is a 1959 MGA Twin Cam which was originally sold in the United States, finished in Old English White with a black interior, before returning to the UK from Beverly Hills, California in 2012. The car's owner, prior to our vendor, was a retired military engineer and he commenced a complete restoration separating the body from the chassis and removing all the components. At this point, it was decided to convert the MG to right-hand drive, a relatively simple process when everything is off the car. The engine received attention from Westwood Portway and Aston Martin specialists, Oselli, who worked on the cylinder head machining valve seats, fitting new valve guides and cam followers, in exchange for £2,376.  The car was then professionally painted in its original Old English White and superbly trimmed and fitted in red leather and there are invoices on file from Aldridge Trimming and The Don Trimming Company, Also in the owner's file are substantial bills for parts from Moss Europe, a series of photos documenting the restoration at its various stages, a UK V5c, the car's Heritage Certificate, and a fresh MoT.</p><p>These rare cars are now recognised as real classics that drive very well and deservedly have a niche in the MG history book. This lovely example is now ready to begin the next chapter of its life.</p><p> </p><div><br /></div>