"The Mercedes-Benz 190SL with the 300SL made history at the New York International Motor Sports Show in February 1954 by being the first new production Mercedes- Benz to be unveiled outside of Germany. The impression given by the 190SL alongside the bigger 300SL was neat, sporty and with dashing lines. This was the trait of Mercedes-Benz designers Karl Wilfret and Walter Hacket. Despite opinions, the statistics tell their own tale as between May 1955 and February 1963, 25,881 of these cars were produced, it was a huge success for Mercedes-Benz. Its engine boasted four inline cylinders with a chain driven overhead camshaft and two Solex 44PHH carburettors, delivering a respectable 108bhp for that era. The body was a monocoque design, welded to the shortened chassis of the type 180 saloon. A racing version with aluminium doors and a small windscreen was never produced although these parts could be ordered from the factory for weekend racing.
This left hand drive 190SL was imported from South Africa circa six years ago where it was subject to an extensive restoration, which included a colour change from Medium Grey to Black (DB040). The car has resided in a private collection since import and comes complete with records of previous MoT test certificates and the UK V5 registration document. With its superb colour combination of Black bodywork and cream leather upholstery, this beautiful 190SL convertible is a suitable acquisition for the discerning collector.