Chassis number 10104951
Engine number 10104951
Exceptional original condition - matching numbers
- One of the very few existing Nürburg Open Tourer
- The look of a 770K
- Certified and expertised by Mercedes-Benz
The last cornerstone of the post-merger revamp of the Mercedes-Benz passenger car range was a 4.6-litre eight-cylinder vehicle that had been developed under Ferdinand Porsche and which was called the Nürburg 460. This model owed its name to the fact that it had undergone endurance testing on the Nürburgring. Unveiled in October 1928 at the Paris Motor Show, the Nürburg 460 was produced until December 1933. It was enlarged to a 5L engine version called the Nürburg 500 with 931 vehicles built. The Nürburg 500 was traditional and innovative at the same time. Actually it had a conventional U-section chassis, rigid axles and semi-elliptic suspension. It was powered by a modern straight-8 engine. It was a distinguished car able to transport 6-7 people in speed and in comfort.
This example bearing chassis number 10104951 had a factory Sindelfingen Tourer body which is very unusual as most were built with a limousine style covered bodies. Our example is the only one known today with such body. It was first registered in Karlsruhe, with number IIIA 29256, on 30 May 1934 to Daimler-Benz Stuttgart. The factory retained the car and used it for parades and official government duties until Hermann Hammer from Reuttlingen took possession on the 5 April 1937. Herr Hammer must have been a dealer as the car quickly found a new owner in Georg Wilhelm Dünzl in Munich. The later ran a limousine and car rental company in Munich and kept the car until 1959 when a Bruno Beck from Ravensburg acquired it. Beck kept it in the Fritz B. Busch museum and it was reputedly used in the epic movie "Hindenburg". Bruno Beck kept the car for 20 years before selling to Heinz Göbel, a Mercedes dealer in Neu-Isenburg outside of Frankfurt. Mr Göbel, the owner from the 70s to the 90s, maintained and serviced the car properly over the years and mechanically it was always in good condition. In 1999 the car was entered in the Brooks auction at the Mercedes factory and found a new owner in Mr. Heckmann. The later gave the car to Kienle in Stuttgart. They sorted out some oil leaks out and performed work on the steering and did a carburettor service. At the same time an electrical fuel pump is installed and a big service is undertaken. A detailed invoice of 39,000€ from July 2000 is available and specifies all the work accomplished. This Nürburg 500 has never been restored but it has been repainted a long time ago and therefore the car shows a very elegant patina. The rear of the interior is original however parts of the front interior have been re-trimmed, a long time ago as well showing now a very nice patina.
This original amazing machine has been certified by Mercedes Classic in 2014 (full file will be delivered with the car) at a high cost (18 000€) and still retains its original German Fahrzeugsbrief. It constitutes a rare chance to acquire one of the most prestigious Mercedes of the 1930s - in impressive original condition.