Introduced at the 1951 Frankfurt Motor Show, the Mercedes-Benz 220(W187) boasted an advanced specification that belied its elegant if rather conservative styling.
Designed around a rigid chassis frame (fabricated from oval section tubular steel), it was equipped with fully independent suspension (transverse leaf front, coil-sprung swing axle rear) a four-speed, column-change manual gearbox and hydraulic drum brakes. Powered by an all new 2195cc ohc six-cylinder engine that developed some 80hp and 105lbft of torque it was reputedly capable of 90mph.
A 2+2 seater, the Top of the range Cabriolet A variant was reassuringly expensive.
Thus, by the time production ended in 1955 a mere 1.278 are thought to have been dispatched.
Finished in cream over beje with light grey-brown leather upholstery, this particular car has been restored in 1995, and it boats a wonderful interior with rich burr walnut trim, tinted sun visors, thick carpets, and a fully lined hood that incorporates both a glass rear window and vanity lights. Benefiting from Bosch headlamps/spotlamps, a battery cut-out switch and under bonnet inspection lamp. It wears Sindelfinger Karosserie badges.
This car was imported from the UK to Portugal in October 2005, by the present owner, who has already made about 18.000 Kms along these last 15 years without any problem.
In May 2009 Sir Stirling Moss drove this car along the time he was in OPorto, to make the presentation of Boavista OPorto circuit racing.
Car is ready to drive anywhere and enjoy the most possible.