Chassis number 191.110.02944/53 A post-war classic Unused interior
Mercedes started the production of their first diesel engine soon after the merger with Benz. It was a 6-cylinder unit that was used solely in Mercedes-Benz´s commercial vehicles. A second engine was developed from this unit and in February 1936 this 4-cylinder engine was ready and aimed at the passenger car market. This unit was to become the work horse of Germany´s taxi fleet. After WWII, Mercedes-Benz developed an over-head-valve version of the unit which also gained much popularity in the passenger car market.
The example on offer is such a car. Sold new in Italy it was registered ZA662DH for the first time on 31 December 1953. It was restored and nicely finished in a dark blue with a grey vinyl interior. The interior is largely unworn as show the seats, carpets and headliner. The instrument panel is detailed with a clock complementing the speedometer and engine gauges. A column gear-change is also fitted. The chrome scarcely shows few signs of wear and many items seem to still have their original plating. The engine compartment is clean and the boot has the correct spare tyre and jack. A very nice example of a restored post-war diesel passenger car and maybe a nice start for a young collector!