1953 Maserati A6GCS

Rear Section 100% original

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1953
  • Car type 
    Convertible / Roadster
  • Condition 
    Original Condition
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Red

Description

This is the rear section previously fitted to one such A6GCS, understood to be chassis number 2050, which would originally have been a Fantuzzi-designed Spyder. Initially delivered to Gianni Bertoni of Ferrara, it was raced as part of the Scuderia San Giorgio team. Records show that it contested the inaugural 1000 km of Nurburgring in 1953, as well as the 1954 Mille Miglia.

The Maserati A6GCS was part of the series of sports cars and grand tourers featuring a straight-six engine - hence the first part of the name. The ‘GCS’ element referred to this later model’s cast iron (‘Ghisa’) engine block as well as its racing two-seater sports car layout (‘Corsa Sport’).
Much more recently, this A6GCS participated in the 2013 Mille Miglia revival event, as well as the ‘Centomiglia sulla Strada del Conegliano Valdobbiadene’ in the same year - the sticker for which remains on part of the bodywork.

While the structure of the rear section has been partially refurbished to ensure it does not flex excessively, it remains unrestored with aged and flaking paint, and evidence of some prior repairs and surface rust.

This complete body section, removed from a genuine Maserati A6GCS competition car, is a fantastic item of Italian motorsport memorabilia. While it is an impressive piece of coachwork as it stands, it arguably deserves to be sympathetically restored and then displayed in tribute to the famous Bologna marque.