1952 Lancia Aurelia

B52 Vignale

Summary

  • Year of manufacture 
    1952
  • Mileage 
    6 572 km / 4 084 mi
  • Car type 
    Coupé
  • Drive 
    RHD
  • Condition 
    Restored
  • Number of doors 
    2
  • Number of seats 
    2
  • Location
  • Exterior colour 
    Brown
  • Gearbox 
    Manual
  • Drivetrain 
    2wd
  • Fuel type 
    Petrol

Description

General Information

Brand: Lancia
Type: Aurelia B52 Vignale
Mileage: 6,572 km
Price: On request
Mille Miglia Eligible: No

History

One of the most influential designs to emerge from Italy post World War II, the classic Aurelia was the first car ever to employ a V6 engine.

The first Aurelia was introduced at the Turin Motor Show in 1950.

The transmission was unusual, comprising a two-piece prop-shaft and combined gearbox/rear transaxle on which were mounted the inboard brakes, though this was not entirely new.
In 1952, Lancia offered the B52 chassis, with a slight increase over the B21’s 2,860-mm wheelbase, and a 2.0-liter V-6. In total Lancia built only 98 B52 chassis, the last of which was delivered in 1953.

Car description

This special Aurelia was completed on 24 March 1952 and shipped to Vignale, where it received this beautiful Michelotti-designed body. Chassis number 1015 incorporates horizontal wing vents with a chrome strip that ends in a slight haunch ahead of the rear wheel arches and culminate in subtle, raked fins. Single headlights with driving lights flank a simple ‘egg-crate’ grille, alongside elegant bumpers with depressed centers and tapered ends. This grille treatment was shared with another Vignale-bodied B52 (chassis 1026), as well as a Ferrari 212 Inter coupé built by Vignale in 1952.

It is believed that the car was owned by Gina Lollobrigida. It is also thought that the car appeared in the 1953 film La Provinciale.

Sometime thereafter, the Lancia was acquired in Geneva by a Mr. Dovaz, a young Parisien who had some interesting automobiles. He stored them on a farm in Villemarchal from 1964 to 1983 when he moved them to a friend’s Chateau in Bagat-en-Quercy. In 1989, about two dozen cars, including B52-1015, were transferred to a private museum in Sarlat, where they remained before the collection was dispersed. The Lancias were sold to Giorgio Schon and in 2002, Paul V.J. Koot purchased this car, in unrestored condition, as documented in Ard op de Weegh’s book The Fate of the Sleeping Beauties.

From 2004-2005, the Aurelia was comprehensively restored by Carrozzeria Granturismo Milano. At that time, the car received a desirable ‘Nardi conversion’, which consisted of a special intake manifold with twin-carburetors, special camshaft and pistons, all of which were available in period. To accommodate the new induction system, a bonnet scoop was added. The car also received special, period-correct Borrani wire wheels, the original, restored wheels also remain with the car.
Following restoration, ownership was transferred to Norbert Heijke in July 2006, who kept the car until April 2013. During this time, the car was shown on a number of occasions, receiving awards at the 2006 Concours d’Elegance at Paleis Het Loo, the 2012 Classic Days Schloss Dyck, and was named Best of Show – Coupé at the 2012 Essen Motor Show. It passed through two subsequent owners before being acquired by the consignor in January 2015. The Lancia was then shown at the Essen Motor Show in December 2018, where it was again awarded Best of Show

Documentation

Complete restoration history available. Books and tools available.