1967 Lamborghini 400 GT
Year of manufacture1967
Number of seats2
Chassis # 1036
Engine n ° 1010
- 152nd of the 248 400 GTs produced
- Elegant color combination
- "Matching numbers", original chassis and engine numbers
- Body restored at Touring
In 1963 Ferruccio Lamborghini, a manufacturer of agricultural machinery - and an unsatisfied customer of Ferrari - decided to create the eponymous firm with the ambition of challenging the marque with the prancing horse. The best engineers were recruited, including Giotto Bizzarrini, the illustrious designer of the Ferrari 250 GTO engine, as well as Giampaolo Dallara for the chassis. A first prototype, named 350 GTV, was designed by Franco Scaglione in 1963 and only four months after the launch of the project, the 350 GT was presented at the Geneva Motor Show. The bodywork was redesigned by coachbuilder Touring, adapting the famous tubular chassis "superleggera". The car was powered by a 3.5-liter V12 engine with four overhead camshafts that could potentially develop 360bhp, 100 more than a Ferrari 250 GT, but limited to 280bhp on the series production model. However, Ferrari was quick to respond. The 330 GT, launched in 1963, was equipped with a 4 liters engine. In 1965, the engine block of the Lamborghini 350 GT went up to 4 liters and its max power gained 40bhp, reaching 320bhp. It was now all set to compete with the Ferrari 330 GT, available recently in a 2 + 2 variant. In order to provide it with two seats in the back, the car was skillfully redesigned by Touring. The roof was slightly raised and the fastback slope of the rear encroached more on to the boot; thus was born the 2 + 2. The changes were actually more profound. In addition to the increase of the interior volume, the length of the car increased by 14cm, without altering the wheelbase. The bodywork was now in steel, and there was only one petrol tank and a pair of two round front headlamps. The car was equipped with a new five-speed "in-house" gearbox and a new differential.
According to information provided by Olivier Nameche, the club president and expert of the marque, the car on offer was sold new on 13 May 1967 by Pier Giorgio Zani, the dealer in Ravenna. The number of the Touring body is 23902. The car was in a sublime color combination: silver Gray and tobacco leather interior, as it still is today. After spending some time in Holland in the early 2000s, it was purchased in 2004 from a Belgian collector by its current owner, an important Belgian collector of Aston Martins and Porsches. The car was then in an original condition, but needing to be restored.
Two years later, he decided to get the car a comprehensively restored. The bodywork was redone at Touring, in Milan, as well as the interior, in its original tobacco leather. The Borrani wheels were also reconditioned, and the engine was overhauled at Mario Villa in Monza. It was then reassembled at Red Willow Racing's workshops in 2013. A photo folder comes with the car and testifies to the extent of this restoration work. In a sumptuous state today, the car has covered less than 1,000 km since.
This exclusive and rare Lamborghini 400 GT 2 + 2, in its original colors and equipped with its original engine, will surely get enthusiasts to rediscover the emotions felt 50 years ago by some very privileged enthusiasts.