1960 Jaguar XK 150
Year of manufacture1960
Number of seats2
1960 Jaguar XK150 3.8-Litre 'S' Coupé
Registration no. 5552 PX
Chassis no. T825242DN
'The Jaguar XK150 is undeniably one of the world's fastest and safest cars. It is quiet and exceptionally refined mechanically, docile and comfortable... we do not know of any more outstanding example of value for money.' - The Autocar.
What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar's fabulous 'XK' series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140's divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4"-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model's main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupé forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the engine's maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140, so performance was little changed. 'Special Equipment' and 'S' versions came with 210 and 250bhp respectively, the latter delivering an astonishing 0-60mph time of 7.3 seconds and a top speed of 136mph. This was achieved by the introduction of the Weslake-developed 'straight-port' cylinder head, high-compression pistons, triple 2" SU carburettors and twin electric fuel pumps. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150 'S'. Steel wheels remained the standard fitting, though XK150s so equipped are a great rarity, as most were sold in SE (Special Equipment) specification with centre-lock wire wheels. The much-admired chromed Jaguar mascot was made available as an optional extra on an XK for the first time.
In the autumn of 1959 the XK150 became available with the 3.8-litre engine first seen in the Mark IX saloon. Standard (220bhp) or 'S' (265bhp) states of tune were offered (the latter featuring overdrive as standard) and in either form the XK150's increased weight was more than offset by the power of the larger engine, the car regularly recording in excess of 130mph in magazine road tests.
The car we offer is one of only 115 right-hand drive 3.8-litre 'S' coupés made and thus is one of the rarest of all XK150 variants. In his book 'Jaguar XK140/150 In Detail', former Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust archivist, Anders Ditlev Clausager lists all the XK150 3.8-litre 'S' chassis, this example being the 79th RHD FHC made.
We are advised by the vendor that the car is totally correct, finished in its original colour scheme of Sherwood Green with Biscuit interior, and retains its original engine (number 'VAS1191-9'). Chassis number 'T825242DN' was first registered 5552 PX in May 1960 through the dealership Fields Engineering in Crawley, Sussex to a Mr Oxley. The car remained in the UK for most of its early years, carrying two further private registrations, but for the last two decades or so has resided in Austria. While there it formed part of a private collection and spent most of its life in a small museum. The mileage indicated is some 51,000, and while this figure correct cannot be verified it is believed to be correct.
We are advised that no changes or modifications have been undertaken to the car apart from discreetly placed tow hooks front and rear; a very well engineered anti-bump arrangement to the rear suspension; seat belt fittings; and a 'Halda' type cable drive mechanism fed to the cockpit. The car is described as in excellent condition, with flat side panels and quite remarkable door shuts, often a feature that disappoints with so many XK 150s. The boot area is in mint condition, the engine bay presents very well, the interior is very smart and the underside is fully Waxoyled. The car has been fitted with a new set of 72-spoke chrome wire wheels shod with new Blockley radial tyres.
This is a car ready to be used immediately, and with race preparation would not disappoint as a rally, track day, or race-car. Very rare in right-hand drive form, this unmolested, full matching numbers XK150 3.8-litre 'S' is worthy of the closest inspection.