1959 Jaguar XK 150
Year of manufacture1959
Offered from The Alps to Goodwood Collection
1959 Jaguar XK150 3.4-Litre Roadster
Chassis no. S830451
What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar's fabulous 'XK' series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-litre engine, and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140's divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4"-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model's main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drophead coupé forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the engine's maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140 so performance was little changed. 'Special Equipment' and 'S' versions came with 210 and 250bhp respectively. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available also. Steel wheels remained the standard fitting, though XK150s so equipped are a great rarity, as most were sold in SE (Special Equipment) specification with centre-lock wire wheels. The much-admired chromed Jaguar mascot was made available as an optional extra on an XK for the first time.
This XK150 Roadster was sold new to the USA and was imported into Switzerland in 1987 by its former owner, Marco Halter. During 1988/1989 the car was totally restored by renowned specialists XK Engineering of Atherstone, UK at a cost £40,000 (see photographic record on file). The current owner bought the XK in 2006 and had it prepared for historic rallying by Seegarage Portmann (reinforced suspension, under-body protection, etc) at a cost of CHF 20,000. In 2017 the car was completely overhauled again (gearbox rebuilt, overdrive installed, etc) at a cost of CHF 20,000. Accompanying documentation consists of Swiss registration papers and a Jaguar Heritage Certificate confirming matching numbers.
Should the vehicle remain in the UK, local import taxes of 5% will be added to the hammer price.